Parcan Up Lights

Stee_cri1

Good Afternoon All,

This is an interesting question for you all.

Can you use traditional Pars for up lights? I ask as I was under the impression that you could not use them as up lights around a room any more due to H&S and fire risk but can anyone clarify this?

I have always followed this line but have just been questioned and cant find any information about it online

Kind Regards

As Seano says its your risk assessment that matters. Most obviously, is there any chance of someone touching one of the pars (burn risk)? So a wedding reception with small children running around is probably not a good risk for example. Electrical and trip safety can be managed to be safe. But you have to work it out for each particular event.

If you can't use them as uprights, then why do many have ground mounting double yokes?

You mention H&S and fire risk, so you've already determined they are hot, and can set thing on fir and burn people.

Only you can determine how safe/unsafe they are. There are no hard rules or laws - it's up to you, sorry!

You also need to take into account trip hazard in poorly lit area's and the risk of drinks etc being spilt.

That said, I'm lighting a church concert this week and will be using some to uplight the sanctuary! As others say, its all about recognising and then managing the risk.

Only problem is they a f******g hot and really burn people when the walk by and brush against them.

Your risk assessment didn't suggest that measures should be taken to stop people getting burnt by your lighting? Which is pretty much the crux of this whole topic...

trip hazard in poorly lit area's

Erm.... :unsure:

Not sure why exactly you're erming? ;) :D

Not that daft really - if you are uplighting then it won't be very brightly lit to start with, otherwise you would be p***ing in the wind.... :rolleyes:

And uplighting in it's self can cause the floor to be poorly lit by messing with your eyes :o

As other post, there is no definate rule on this, it depends on the circumstances.

My view is that PAR cans should not be used as uplighters if within easy reach of children, animals, or drunk adults, but that they are probably acceptable if out of reach, or only reachable by adults in full comand of their faculties.

And, of course, placed by sensible, responsible adults, and not stuck under drapes which could at the least scorch, and at worst catch fire.

I was at a wedding a few months back where the semi-permanent marquis had regular brown stains around the side walls starting about 15 inches or so off the deck, tailing off 2 or 3 feet above that.

No prizes for stating the obvious that some numpty used uplighters on constant for a not unreasonable time at some stage before.

Archived