100v line disaster

lx999

Hi, just picking your minds, the problem is this; while I was away doing a show, my local village hall decided to go ahead and install four Control 1's that we had bought to upgrade the background/ambient sound set-up. Unfortunately they connected them (all four in parallel) to the 100v line system, and when they sounded a bit odd, cranked up the volume until they sounded really odd.

My best guess is that they've fried the crossovers (there is almost no bass), but it is only a guess. I notice from my researches that they have some protection on the crossover (a sort of glass fuse), would replacing this be my best bet. or should we just abandon the speakers and start again? They were zumba'd to death before anyone thought to ask : (

thanks folks, try not to snigger : )

Hmm. 4 Control 1 Pros in parallel would give a 1 Ohm load. That could get exciting for the amplifier! I'm amazed that it worked at all.

Can you try the amplifier on some known good 100v speakers?

Hi, they were/are control 1 Pro. Amp seems to be fine, I connected it to a 100v line feed that does a breakout room and sounds as good as it ever did. I'm still thinking that the crossover is most likely to have suffered, but subsequent researches reveal that they have some protection, so I think I might try replacing that first.

I'm not sure, it's a Philips mixer jobby, and about 75 miles away. So I won't be able to check for a while. I suspect any amp, if it's being tortured as this one was, is likely to cause problems.

The mixer is 75 miles from the speakers?

I'm not sure, it's a Philips mixer jobby, and about 75 miles away. So I won't be able to check for a while. I suspect any amp, if it's being tortured as this one was, is likely to cause problems.

The mixer is 75 miles from the speakers?

The engineer is about 75 miles from the mixer, who says noise boys have no sense of humour : )

You have two problems here excessive voltage applied to the speakers which can damage them even if the amp is lowish power and a very low load impedance presented to the amplifier. Check the speakers on a known good amplifier and or check the amplifier on a known good speaker but be careful as there is a risk of damaging the good equipment

Archived