Tips on frontligt for boxing event

Torbenc

I agree with other replies - plenty of light, no colour, fairly steep to keep it out of people's eyes. No-one comes to a boxing match to admire the beautiful lighting, they come to see a couple of idiots knocking seven shades of sh!te out of each other.

would never use PAR cans as frontlight

"Never"? Why not? It works perfectly well in some situations. The production in the studio space at my venue at the moment has 44 parcans doing a nice punchy bright 'sunlight' key-light from the front, and it looks great.

Indeed. Mick Hughes used an entire wash of PAR64's with Coulour Call scrollers at Chichester Festival Theatre for the season - many moons ago - I was working there. He didnt like the house wash of P223's. It worked perfectly. Had the means to be subtle and then the power to bang in at Full for the big production numbers ('Pickwick')

Back OT though. All of the above. High and o/w all the way. Keep the colours and any eye candy stuff for the walk-in's and breaks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O2 video was a good example of a good portion of pizazz and then tons of nitty gritty white light for the main fight.

Here's another big arena event that uses hundreds of PAR64's for general illumination and then augments that with VL3000's to add a splash of colour. Again the reason being that traditional PARs just bang out rich full-spectrum white which is good from a filming perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce1cO75je70

Because I have plenty of fresnells, and PAR cans are not made for front light, and are useless as frontlight IMO.

What an absolutely absurd thing to say! Parcans may not be as flexible in terms of manipulating the output but they can throw a good punch. In numbers, they can wash a stage very well.

I also agree with BigClive - seen rows of pars being used up at the Edinburgh Tattoo and it's very effective.

Time to mention the royal wedding? Lit with over 300 PARs and very little else.

Shurely shome mishtake? Parcans are apparently 'useless' for frontlighting ...

There is one situation where parcans ARE useless for front lighting, and that is when you can't get them very far away from the stage. In that situation you just get a horrible hot-spotty mess. A bit of diffusion/frost can save you from disaster but then you lose intensity and you'd have been better off with the fresnels...

Using the right lamps in them also helps - CP60s aren't much good at washing an area (unless from a very long way away of course...)

True, but even CP62s are no good in a small venue. For the OP's boxing ring, if the ceiling is lower than 5 metres or so I would say that par cans would be unsuitable.

Time to mention the royal wedding? Lit with over 300 PARs and very little else.

Shurely shome mishtake? Parcans are apparently 'useless' for frontlighting ...

There is one situation where parcans ARE useless for front lighting, and that is when you can't get them very far away from the stage. In that situation you just get a horrible hot-spotty mess. A bit of diffusion/frost can save you from disaster but then you lose intensity and you'd have been better off with the fresnels...

Everything is useless in certain situations. But what we're disputing here is the blanket statement that parcans are "useless" for front lighting, full stop.

Critically for a lot of boxing/wrestling which are held in sports halls and warehouses, PARs are lightweight, so you can get lots hung from lightweight roofs never designed for entertainment trusses.

Also these events have grown out of rock and roll practices, not theatre.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived