Test Tracks?

Tall Guy

I'm trying to limit the amount of audio tracks that will be used in a loudspeaker demo during Plasa.

I would like to get a definitive top ten tracks which I want available for the demo.

Criteria would be based around the speakers being used as:

Foreground : Live music

Foreground Theatrical (speech)

BGM Bars and Clubs

Stage Monitoring.

Obviously this will help me control the bun fight that ensues when clients all want to hear their own stuff all at the same time.

I will put together the track list with as high a sample rate as the DSP will allow thus eliminating Ipads (except the bar system which will allow for such playback formats)

Thoughts?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Race - Yello (from the Soundcheck 2 CD) For foreground/live music.

Nouvelle Vague - In A Manner of Speaking for BGM Bars and Clubs

The Who - I Am The Sea (Soundtrack Version) for Foreground Theatrical (not strictly vocal but a very good track in theatre)

Pink Floyd - The Wall for Stage Monitoring (Just a personal preference due to the complexity in places)

I'm sure there are other's who'll disagree but this works for me.

Josh

African Black Mombassa Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes - tremendous range of frequencies and unlikely to wind up anyone.

Thing is with Plasa the opportunity to let a system go and really show it off is virtually non existent these days unless you book a private room.

Don't know wether to add thank god or :)!

Everybody picks their favourite tracks then attempt to justify them as something special to test with, when I suspect people just use stuff they know very well, so they can hear when it sounds 'wrong'. Something with bass you can hear as individual notes, some sub that you feel in your stomach, and some bright HF up to about 16KHz for people who have HF age roll-off and then something in the very top 16-20KHz to test if the system responds up there. I've often thought some band limited content would be useful too - as in the bands your crossovers split off. You'd be able to use these in reverse too to check the crossovers are crossing where you expect. Some of the common tracks used have lots of reverb and effects on them, making their use limited as test tracks - a stereo mix with no reverb would let you hear the room.

Things like the Race just sound impressive - even on nasty systems, but look at them on a spectral display and there are quite a few dips - so is this good for testing with? Not sure.

Epica- Pirates of the carribean.

Like the theme music we all know, but with a metal band amongst the orchestra. the kind of track that has been known to stop people dead in the tracks and listen to it. is always in my go to list for tracks to test out the response of a system.

Thanks Guys,

Right, The Demo is for VUE Audiotechnik and I'm holding it at MUSIC BANK.

That will hopefully give give you an idea of what sort of Audio I need to play. The markets are mainly Theatrical, Live venue, Bar/ Club, Monitors...

If any of you want to listen to the range, a) don't bring your CD's, I'll have a track list available, and b) Let me know, I'll get you on the list.

Demo's on Monday and Tuesday throughout the days.

Archived