Pearl 2008

Aragon

Hello

I'm in need of a bit of help.

I am trying to add some lighting states to this Pearl 2008 but when I record my look to a preset it won't playback. It looks like it has recorded (the led lights up) but no output when I play back.

I have just turned up at a job to run some lights for a client in a theatre. They have recently received a new desk, Pearl 2008. It seems to be patched in to the house system, some states have been programmed to the preset faders and they work fine. If I try to add a new look, nothing plays back. If I record the lights that have already been programmed it works fine and will playback. When I try some stuff that's not already been recorded, nothing.

I have never come across this problem before, but I need to record a show soon.

Please help.

Once recorded (and the led is lit) have you CLEARed the programmer? Zeroing the handles will override the output state and produce, er, nothing on stage.

Also, assume that other, previously recorded states work as expected? Otherwise, are you sure that the memory output master (next to playback 1) is up? If it has had it's knob replaced with one of the same colour as the playbacks then obviously this will stop a memory playing back if accidentally at 0.

There are some other elements that can make this not appear to happen, including getting in a muddle between pushing faders up and hitting clear, then recording etc. Basically, check that have actually recorded what you think. A quick test would be to INCLUDE the memory into the programmer. If it's in there, it will show up on the relevant screen and (hopefully) on stage.

Once recorded (and the led is lit) have you CLEARed the programmer? Zeroing the handles will override the output state and produce, er, nothing on stage.

Also, assume that other, previously recorded states work as expected? Otherwise, are you sure that the memory output master (next to playback 1) is up? If it has had it's knob replaced with one of the same colour as the playbacks then obviously this will stop a memory playing back if accidentally at 0.

There are some other elements that can make this not appear to happen, including getting in a muddle between pushing faders up and hitting clear, then recording etc. Basically, check that have actually recorded what you think. A quick test would be to INCLUDE the memory into the programmer. If it's in there, it will show up on the relevant screen and (hopefully) on stage.

Yes to the first point, I am clearing before dropping faders.

Yes to the second point, all masters are up as the pre programmed presets are out putting fine.

Interestingly I tried the include test and nothing is there, but Im not getting in a muddle. If I select a dimmer channel that is in one of the pre programmed presets and add another dimmer channel, only the one in the pre programmed preset will record. Its like the programmer is not seeing anything but the stuff already programmed, yet I can see it on stage using the dimmer channels.

Interestingly I tried the include test and nothing is there, but Im not getting in a muddle. If I select a dimmer channel that is in one of the pre programmed presets and add another dimmer channel, only the one in the pre programmed preset will record. Its like the programmer is not seeing anything but the stuff already programmed, yet I can see it on stage using the dimmer channels.

It's not totally clear what you are doing here and you are using words differently to how Avo desks use them...

so you press Clear

Put a couple of faders up on the top presets to bring some dimmer channels up

Press Record

Press a swop button above a playback fader

The LED comes on above the playback fader

Take the top preset faders down

Press Clear

Then put the playback fader up and nothing is there?

so you press Clear Yes

Put a couple of faders up on the top presets to bring some dimmer channels up Yes

Press Record Yes

Press a swop button above a playback fader Yes

The LED comes on above the playback fader Yes

Take the top preset faders down No, Press clear first

Press Clear No, Then drop preset faders

Then put the playback fader up and nothing is there? Yes

Take the top preset faders down No, Press clear first

Press Clear No, Then drop preset faders

If you move the faders to zero AFTER pressing clear, you are possibly putting a zero value into the programmer for those faders - which would override the output to zero. Try doing it the other way round as in my post.

If this is the problem pressing clear at any point should make the output magically appear.

I have tried both ways but nothing.

The way I'm programming is fine. If I program dimmer channels that are already on playback faders to another playback fader (to test the programming process) the new playback fader works, the dimmer channels are stored.

If I try the same process with different dimmer channels, no output. I have programmed them exactly the same way.

I have tried both ways but nothing.

The way I'm programming is fine. If I program dimmer channels that are already on playback faders to another playback fader (to test the programming process) the new playback fader works, the dimmer channels are stored.

If I try the same process with different dimmer channels, no output. I have programmed them exactly the same way.

OK so to make sure I am getting this, all your dimmers work fine on the preset faders at the top of the pearl. When you record a cue, some of them record and some of them don't? Is there any pattern as to which record and which don't?

It's difficult to help very well on a forum, I would try phoning Avo for some help.

Does the dimmer show as 'in programmer' on the LCD display when you raise it? I can't quite remember how this is in Classic, either an underscore below the value or the value in inverse highlight. Similarly, what happens if you select the dimmers and use the wheel to adjust the value?

By some strange coincidence I'm on a show with a pearl tiger (classic) today and having this exact problem. The clear button does not remove the programmer settings ... they still show as 'm' on the screen and override the output to zero. The only wsy I can find to clear the programmer is to reset the desk using the button on the back. Seems to be affecting all patched channels (all dimmers).

Try a wipeall and then patch a dimmer to all sixty handles on a page. See if there's any pattern to which handles are entering the programmer by fader. Along similar lines have a look at diagnostics and/or try unplugging the ribbons from the preset boards and see if it stops happening.

Archived