Creating chasing proscenium lights

boardingbob

So, LD and Producer for incoming show are itching to make some 3 channel chasing lights to fix to the inside edge of our pros. They want to use 40w golf ball bulbs, brass BC bases screwed to a wooden base. The base would have a channel in it so that all the wiring would be concealed and sections of the base would be joined using suitably rated IECs and the whole lot would terminate in 3 15A plugs.

Now, their design, cable ratings etc are all fine, no issue there. My problem is with the bulbs.

They are not having any bulbs for the bottom 50 or 60cm to prevent kicking, but there are no additional safety measures yet in place. When I've done these lights before they have either had Rink Light type covers or been recessed to prevent them getting whacked. So I am not happy. The plan is to have the bulbs face on stage, not out to the audience, so there's a nice big target for a flailing arm to smash into. Did I mention that the production is choc-ful of children too? I want to make this work, but not at any price.

What cost effective, risk assesment pleasing solutions can you lot suggest?

Here's a different way to get a similar effect - a chasing ropelight in a clear channel, with the controller in the wings. We've done that before and it looked quite good from the audience POV.

I know it's not quite the fairground look that perhaps they're after, but it might be good enough?

Could you cover the bottom couple of metres of festoon in clear curved acrylic that'd act as a bash-guard? You'd have to remove it to change a dead lamp but if it just needs to stop people accidentally hitting the glass bulbs it might be enough. Think of an oversized, clear piece of guttering.

Alistair - we had rope lights for the panto (same Producer and LD) which inspired this plan. They want more control & options..

Tim - that's a great link. I suspect they will suck teeth at the likely cost, but I'll get them to quote me up anyway. Don't think the LED option is one they would go for, for the reason Ynot suggests. Plus expense. Again. Sigh...

The acrylic shield is possible - anyone know a company that shapes acrylic to order?

Thinking practically, would it actually need to be shaped over the lamp, or would a flat piece behind the lamp that stood out beyond the distance of the lamp protect it from anything oncoming from either upstage or onstage?

Assuming by facing on stage we mean across and not upstage

I was essentially thinking of a long, sturdy, clear plastic cover like the type you get on a fluorescent light fitting (except those are often diffuse, brittle and square cornered). If that makes sense. If you can find a clear, heavy duty version of that then that might help.

(There seem to be loads of places advertising online that will bend acrylic sheeting for you...)

This is probably too much for your budget, but how about something like this?

That fixture is more a light curtain, or face-on pixel-array like the Jarag-5's commonly used on X-Factor's Got Talent-a-likes. Pretty sure that's not the look the OP wants!

On shaping acrylic (or polycarbonate), pretty much any sheet plastics supplier could do it. Have a look in your Yellow Pages (or Google)

Edge bending sheet thermoplastic is pretty easy as long as it's not too thick.

- Polycarb is much easier to work with as it won't crack and is really easy to drill, but more expensive. Would probably last longer than acrylic though.

Get the lamps dipped in clear rubber - cheap and the best solution as you dont need ugly lamp covers and if they smash they are kept safely within rubber coating... ropelight is far from the same effect, why would you just try and get away with a half job solution if the brief is for lamps...

Re dipping in clear rubber - I've previously had dipping in clear silicone recommended to me, but the lamps still become brittle after time, and I wasn't happy with the result. Where can I find out more about 'rubber dip'? Who has used it and has positive stories to tell?

Tomo, you're right, that Showtec product looks kinda, y'know, *fun*, but very far from the trad panto/end of the pier show type effect we want to achieve.

Amazed we've got a company like K2A so local, I'll talk to them on Tuesday so I can get all my quotes in a row. The protector would have to go all the way over the bulbs. Hmm, would have to redesign the underlying structure for the section with the acrylic over it so it can fix to the wood. Hmm, bit of an arse. It would work, but brings other problems.

Still lust after the cabuchons, so lovely, so lovely...

Archived