XLR-XLR Cables to Connect Active Speakers

mykoolbuble

Hi there

First post from me so a big hello to you all, and thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my post :)

It was my birthday the other day so I decided to buy a new PA system for myself.

Bought 2 x Mackie SRM450v2 having used them in the past and a Mackie PROFX8 Mixer.

The Speakers are active (just in case you didn't know) so speaker cable connections/link connections are XLR.... and the question is this:

Will normal Microphone cables work (presuming as I'm just sending a line signal and not a powered signal that they will) and...(sorry another question) - as for quality (and the fact I want/need 2 x 10 metre cables) should I go for the best money can buy or will standard cables be fine...??

I have seen real cheapies which I don't like, inbetweenies and then Neutrik or something which seem to be the most expensive.

I am obviously keen to have the best sound possible, I use a Beta 87a Condenser Mic and will be buying, this week, an EV ZXA1 Sub... (mackie subs are getting a bashing reputation wise)

thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

TJ

standard mic cable will be fine for powered speakers.

As for how much to spend- anything thats expensive because its going to magically make it sound better is just trying to part fools from their money, however neutrik connectors are expensive because you can unplug them a thousand times, throw them in a cable trunk with 150kg of other cables every night and still have reasonable confidence its going to work every time.

Theres lots of really cheap (Chinese made) connectors around, the quality control isnt the same, maybe the metals a little softer, maybe its a bit thiner, maybe the strain relief isnt as good... but if their going in and staying in, or being used infrequently/by a careful person and you use the money saved to get a spare then they'll probably be ok.

standard mic cable will be fine for powered speakers.

As for how much to spend- anything thats expensive because its going to magically make it sound better is just trying to part fools from their money, however neutrik connectors are expensive because you can unplug them a thousand times, throw them in a cable trunk with 150kg of other cables every night and still have reasonable confidence its going to work every time.

Theres lots of really cheap (Chinese made) connectors around, the quality control isnt the same, maybe the metals a little softer, maybe its a bit thiner, maybe the strain relief isnt as good... but if their going in and staying in, or being used infrequently/by a careful person and you use the money saved to get a spare then they'll probably be ok.

Hey Wilf

Thanks so much for your reply, it was as I thought tbh..... you get what you pay for I guess, just as some HDMI cables are crazy expensive yet if you are careful with the cheapy one and don't keep unplugging it in and out all the time then it'll be fine!!

What about noise reduction? I was thinking of going for the middle of the road selection, I think they're about £12 for a 10 metre so roughly £25 for two...... I think that'll be fine, and I already have my existing 30 metre one for my mic.

Excellent stuff.....

Will go buying tomorrow...... and get my power extension cables too, only downside of going Active I guess, but worth it I think :)

Cheers...

TJ

I can provide the perfect solution. I can sell you oxygen free cupro-stannic cored polytetroflouroethelyne coated cables (£18 per metre + VAT) terminated with our special auric pronged connectors (£.45 +VAT per termination) plus £6 +VAT per connector if we use our optional stanno-plumbic hot matrix method. For a small additional fee (£18 per cable) we can cryogenically temper your cables. We can provide a CD of pulsed spectral optimised noise to reduce your run in time for a cost of £32 +VAT. Please make cheques out to SERPETROLEUM LTD. or to cash. Or send used notes. Or your children.

...or you could use ordinary mic leads, but use decent XLR connectors and make sure they lock into your sockets!

I'd recommend the REAN branded cables that CPC sell, they're of reasonable quality and not overly expensive.

Josh

+1 They've stood up to educational abuse remarkably well and coil reasonably well unlike some other budget cables we had.

Hello and welcome.

Neutriks connectors all the way for me, in the grand scheme their not that expensive and will last a life time. I have some cables coming upto 20 years old and have never given m&s an ounce of trouble, your much more likely to loose them before they die.

On the other hand REAN connectors are made by neutrik (I believe) so should be good quality.

Normal cable will be fine but reasonable quality cables are much better coiling wise and will last longer.

Just to expand on things here...

Despite what audiophools might say when they spend $39,000 on a pair of speaker cables (see another thread elsewhere), there won't be a detectable audio difference between the cheapest cable you're considering and the most expensive.

The differences are in longevity, reliability and handling quality.

Cables with Neutrik connectors are more expensive because they tend to last a lot longer. I have cables with Neutrik connectors in my collection that are at least 30 years old and going strong--something I can't say about my ventures into non-name brand connectors.

Similarly, the differences in the cable itself can be big. I'm sure you've seen it for yourself--some cable coils and uncoils easily and neatly while others kink and twist every time you pack up after a gig. This makes a big difference if you're coiling and uncoiling a lot--but also affects the lifetime of the cable since every kink or twist causes minor damage to the cable.

Frankly, my advice to most people is not to buy pre-made cables at all. Pick up a handful of Neutrik connectors and a 100 metre reel of cable and teach yourself to solder. XLRs and TRS connectors are about the easiest soldering you can do and, in the long term, this'll save you money. It also lets you make up exactly the right length of cable for any application.

My only experience of the REAN cables has been ultra short patch leads, but I can vouch for Studiospares' own brand cables as well. I bought a number of them at Plasa last year (they were on offer!) to join my box of cables I send in to schools (my own cable stock is all Neutrik with Klotz cable). They've lasted really well. No failures as yet and they coil pretty nicely. I think at this end of the market, coiling nicely, how they "feel" and how robust they are is probably the most important factor to consider.

+1 for the Studiospares cable - Neutrik connectors with Sommer cable. This makes up the majority of my cable stock, coils nicely, lasting well and not too bad price wise!

Of course if you want a really easy way to connect your Mackies there's a few companies now doing specific powered speaker leads that "shotgun" (side by side) power and audio together...

.. I think that'll be fine, and I already have my existing 30 metre one for my mic.

Excellent stuff.....

To be honest I'd just buy 2 male and two female Neutrik XLR's and chop your 30 metre mic cable into 3 x10 metre lengths. 30 metres of mic cable is an awful lot!

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your advice, have taken it all on board and the reasoning for my selection is pretty much on the same lines as you guys.... pay a tad more for longevity and ease of coiling - yes, nothing worse than kinks in ya cables grrrr!!

I would love to cut up my mic cable, but then what would I use? ** laughs out loud ** !! Don't say Radio Mic, cos if I wanted one of those I would buy one :) I have a wired mic for a reason.....and yes, sometimes I do need that extra length - always better to have more and not need it than not have enough and need it - well, that's what my ex used to say ;-)

Thanks again guys... will be sorting those out in the next couple of days.

Oh, before I go and order them, one other question... I have heard of balanced and unblanced, does it matter what I have with regards to sound quality for either my microphone (Shure Beta87a condenser) OR my PA set up? I have heard that balanced is better, but a) not sure what that means and b) it could be a load of bs !!

Ta muchly :)

TJ

Archived