How do you format dates on your CV?

Napoleon

It is an age thing Tony. The older one gets the less and less specific CV's get because there just isn't space to list everything.

To start out I would have the year as a sub-heading with a list of productions and roles taken. As you progress it will just get too much to enter and generic terms begin to take over. "2013-2015 West End costume and set design" sort of thing. Nothing more boring than an endless list of titles which mean less and less as time passes. Keep it brief and snappy.

Enjoy building it and have fun.

IMO (and only that!) this year's experience could have precision dates and some detail but a week run in 2010 may get less detail or run into a list of jobs from "spring 2010" UNLESS it contains specific relevance to the work being applied for.

As your experience grows the older and less significant parts can be grouped as supporting evidence. What you are doing NOW and what you did for the last year will be more immediately relevant that older history jobs.

Back at 17, I decided I wasn't going to collect programmes like many people do - I wish I had done now, because I only remember the really good or bad ones, and hundreds in the middle have just vanished from my memory. Sometimes people remind me of shows at theatres I worked on - and I have no memory at all, or mix up venues and productions.

Archived