Tips for drilling Neutrik's D Holes

pete10uk

Moning all

This one is an easy one.

I have the need to drill 50 Neutrik connectors in to plastic cases. I'm after an easy way of doing this with uniformity, i.e. I want to mark a straight centre line with the the desired spacing (unfortunately not the same as pre drilled 19"rack adaptors) and would like them all to line up exactly.

Any tips on this or tools to help?

Cheers

This looks just the job.

I've made a prototype in a peli case which is the plastic in question using a standard hole cutter but even though I've taken care the holes always seem to be slightly off centre from each other making it look slightly home made.

Not sure if these cutters will handle the Peli plastic as it is quite thick, but will give it a go.

Cheers, any further suggestions welcome.

•  
  • Make yourself a 1:1 drawing of all the holes, with centres marked, and print it out 1:1
  • Stick it into position
  • Drill the centre of each hole with a small, ie around 2mm, drill bit using either a pillar drill or a hand drill
  • Open up each hole to the final size using a normal twist drill for the fixing holes and a step drill for the XLR body

post-207-0-04511200-1372416943_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-23627700-1372416953_thumb.jpg

•  
  • Make yourself a 1:1 drawing of all the holes, with centres marked, and print it out 1:1
  • Stick it into position
  • Drill the centre of each hole with a small, ie around 2mm, drill bit using either a pillar drill or a hand drill
  • Open up each hole to the final size using a normal twist drill for the fixing holes and a step drill for the XLR body

post-207-0-04511200-1372416943_thumb.jpgpost-207-0-23627700-1372416953_thumb.jpg

I've got the hole centres perfect so the template isn't requited, it's the transformation from small centred hole to large hole where the variation comes in, I'll try a step cutter, I have tried a standard cone cutter without the steps and getting all holes exactly the same size is where the issue comes in.

Cheers

I have tried a standard cone cutter without the steps ...

Cone cutters will drift off-centre unless you stop them by clamping the workpiece and using a pillar drill.

A hand-held drill and free-range workpiece is possibly the worst combination.

I tend to make up a drawing like Brian says, but do three sockets with the right spacing, then drill it into some scrap ali or steel. Then lay this on the panel to drill the centre holes AND the mounting holes. I then drop the bolts in to align the next holes, drill, and then move across the panel. I sometimes (if I have quite a few to do) clamp another bit of metal across to allow the template to slid along - which keeps the holes all absolutely level, and speeds up the drilling no end.

Hi

We use these.....although with plastic, there will be some bending of the plastic (depending how dense the plastic is)

Another +1 for these. Used extensively for 'maplin project box' style creations, both for panel connectors such as the neutriks and also as power entry for things like LED arrays.

Archived