Low latency video for conductor relay

chelgrian

Often I have to put a conductor somewhere not directly visible to the stage requiring conductor relay via video. With CRTs and analogue output box cameras and composite video the latency wasn't noticeable. However these days LCD displays have to scale the SD video up introducing enough input lag (often over 100ms) to cause issues.

In order to reduce lag removing the need to scale the signal so capturing and distributing it at 1920x1080 seems like the first step however cameras with HD-SDI outputs and HD-SDI capable displays are extremely expensive due to being designed for the low volume broadcast and film market.

Ideally the end to end latency would be no more than 1 frame at 25p so 40ms.

So the question is is there any economical way to do this or am I stuck with SD analogue box cams, composite video and used CRT monitors from ebay?

I think you probably are. Anything with HD conversion and back is horrible. I was in the gallery at one of the ITV centres with big screens instead of lots of small monitors and the lag was noticeable. Would a small CCTV camera and flat screen monitor not be the best solution?

I think you probably are. Anything with HD conversion and back is horrible. I was in the gallery at one of the ITV centres with big screens instead of lots of small monitors and the lag was noticeable. Would a small CCTV camera and flat screen monitor not be the best solution?

The current solution involves cameras like:

http://business.panasonic.co.uk/professional-camera/static-cameras/wv-cp500

Composite video distribution which is as cheap as chips and mostly unbranded and monitors like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Trinitron-14-Broadcast-CCTV-Colour-Video-Monitor-PVM-14N6E-Free-P-P/290930728725?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D74%26meid%3D8421399505722521187%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1152%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D111003757189%26

the trouble with flat screen monitors is that they have to scale the composite input to the native resolution of the panel and most of them apply some processing at the same time. This pushes the input latency of the panel itself to unacceptable levels.

Sydney Opera House still uses CCTV cameras and CRTs for all mission-critical conductor cam. There are a lot of flat screen monitors throughout the building, but not where lag would matter (percussion section (they can't see the conductor all the time), backstage musicians, backstage singers etc etc).

Have you thought about using the original low tech solution - well placed mirror or two? Will not work all the time I know but might be worth considering.

Unfortunately the most common situation is the the band are in an entirely separate room.

This pushes the input latency of the panel itself to unacceptable levels.

Mic the whole orchestra and then delay the sound to fit the video.

That would produce some very weird effects because you also have vocal relay going back in the other direction and that is necessarily going to contain some bleed through from the delayed orchestra coming out of the PA so in the conductor's fold back you'd end up with a noticeably delayed version of the direct sound he's got in front of him. At best it would be horribly confusing at worst all the musos would up and walk out :)

I agree with GridGirl. Use old fashioned analogue kit that doesn't process the signal but just pushes it onto the screen. Don't throw out working CRT screens - keep them for these jobs.

Archived