Taping IEM cables

timd

I've been trying a few experiments with taping the cables for my earbuds up the back of my neck (I've been needing to be able to get them in quickly and not have them foul on anything I'm doing with my hands). So far I've used micropore tape, as it's the only stuff I've got that's even vaguely suitable for use on skin. I've found that the cables have a habit of working out from underneath very easily, and movement of the skin in that area as I turn my head tends to lift the tape. What sort of tape do the pros use for IEMs? I've seen that they are taped up the back of the neck from pictures, but I'm not too sure what sort of tape's being used. Equally, are there any specific techniques that will improve the hold of the tape? If it's important, the earbuds are Sennheiser CX300s, with very thin rubbery cables after the split, which ends up just above my shoulders when fitted up.

Thanks,

Tim

You could try Transpore or Blenderm, I suspect it might just be a case of finding out what tape works for you by trial and error?

Also maybe use rubbing alcohol to remove sweat and skin grease before you tape, to improve the hold?

David

What David said.

Different brands have differing levels of stickiness.

From memory, Boots own brand is brilliant. Or it might be the one that's rubbish. I will have a look when I get home.

I've had limited success with alcohol wipes. If you sweat a lot then they only help for a limited time.

If you are taping out of sight then you can get a sort of sticking plaster on a roll that's a bit more resilient.

The Sennheisers are a bit of a pain with cables slipping through the tape. One singing artist I work with had less problems putting the cable down the front.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions, plenty to try there. Sticking plaster roll is probably going to be the most effective, but I'll try blenderm as well as removal is likely to be less painful!

Another 3M Blenderm fan here. I only move to other tapes if there's a reason like allergy or something--I've not found any that work as well generally.

BTW, one of the advantages with Blenderm is that it takes makeup pretty much the same as bare skin if you want to cover it.

One other option (discovered by my medically trained wife) is that the stick on sutures you can buy work very well and have a small footprint.

The best one I've found is "Leukofix" by BSN medical. It's transparent, takes makeup OK, no one I've found yet is allergic to it, and it comes off (the talent and the mic cable) without leaving a sticky residue. I buy it in boxes of 20 rolls from Medisave Leukofix or healthandcare.co.uk. You may also find a chemist that sells it by the roll.

PA

Archived