Hanging mirrorballs in plasterboard

Jamtastic3

Indeedy.

The simplest solution is to get a chunk of dexion, and attach the mirror ball rotator to that, and then screws through the dexion into the wood holding up the plasterboard. At least three screws into the wood along the length of the dexion.

Are members of the public able to grab your balls?

Would you like to rephrase that?

Back to normal transmissions.

A few questions:

- When did mirrorball positions become that critical that they couldn't move a couple of inches to the joist?

- Who in their right mind wants to hand anything from an 8' high ceiling?

- Can we get a "If you have to ask, you are not the right person" smiley?

Oh, Mr. Buckley I won't be darkening the doors of your venue, I am 6'6".

Ok thanks for the replies guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring your comments. I'm just trying to see if there is any solution to this without hitting the 'no, there isn't' answer just yet. Bridging the gap with ply seems like the only real choice I guess.

One of the main reasons the mirrorballs can't move closer to the joists is because of an existing projection setup which start right next to the balls and this can't be moved.

My venue have asbestos panels everywhere in the auditorium, so even drilling small holes for cables or motor drops is impossible. The panels are fitted in aluminium extrusion, and are quite large panels. Where over the years it has been necessary to attach things, or cut holes, then they have been removed and replaced with ply. 6mm ply sitting on these extrusions sags quite a bit, viewed up close, but hardly evident from underneath. One panel has a convenient hole in the centre and when we needed to hang a heavier and larger mirror ball, even screwing into the panel was out. Our solution was quite attractive, and could work for you.

If your projector is on one joist, then normal ceilings will have joists spread at 600mm or 18" centres normally. Are you certain you don't have another one handy? Our solution was a piece of dexion, which we inserted into the hole, and then slid back to the half way point, and then we attached the motor to that - the flimsy ply hardly moved once the weight was spread across the greater area. Maybe you could do something like this?

If you push up the ceiling, how far does the plasterboard move.I'd suggest that if you can deflect it less than 10mm, then there IS a joist more local than you think. You just need to find it.

If you push up the ceiling, how far does the plasterboard move.I'd suggest that if you can deflect it less than 10mm, then there IS a joist more local than you think. You just need to find it.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the OP isn't talking about ceiling tiles, but a fixed, permanent and skimmed full ceiling.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the OP isn't talking about ceiling tiles, but a fixed, permanent and skimmed full ceiling.

Which brings us nicely round to the fact that, short of ripping the ceiling down, the OP only has two options:

1. Ply board spreader, easy to do and paintable.

2. Batten such as Unistrut, Dexion, 3x1 etc - paintable but uglier than a ply spreader.

Personally I see option one as the sensible, easy option. Doesn't have to be square,something say 6 inches wide would do it so long as it spans two joists :)

The ceiling is a fully skimmed plasterboard ceiling. I'm puting a few mirrorballs into the ceiling 18cm out from the nearest wall in a row. I've checked that there is a joist running along the edge of where the wall and ceiling meet. Just trying to find the next joist but I have a feeling the joists run parallel to the row of mirrorballs. But I'm still going with the ply spanning route as this will be neater than unistrut - I'm just trying to find the other joist.

Just after my last post I've now found the joists. Phew! From wall to first joist - 30cm, from that to joist 2 - 60cm then joists 2 to 3 - 30cm and the last one must be behind the wall since the space is 50cm but there's no joist after the 3rd one so I'm guessing it's another 60cm.

Thanks for that information about joist spreads Paulears.

Archived