Hanging mirrorballs in plasterboard

Jamtastic3

Hi BR.

Just a quick one - doing an install of a set of mirrorballs - only 2kg each. Just wondering what the best fixings are to put into a plasterboard ceiling. I don't always find that plasterboard screws go into plasterboard that well. These things....

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/FXPBS35.JPG

Any other fixings anyone could recommend? Something that springs back behind the plasterboard might be better (toggle bolts will do the job but but you need a fairly big hole and they're useless if you need to unscrew them)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

...supported on all four sides but it's only 2m by 2m so there's no crossing joists.

Really? Then I'd not want to stand underneath it, let alone hang anything from it.

If that really is the case then the only safe way to support you loads is with some 2m long bits of unistrut firmly fixed to what joists there are. And as a bonus, the unistrut will mitigate some of the disaster that'll unfold if when the plasterboard falls down.

I'm fairly sure you can't get 2m wide sheets of plasterboard which means its either /not/ plasterboard or there is a joint, seam or battern in there somewhere you can attach to. Just attaching to raw plasterboard (especially if it is as unsupported as you think it it) is an absolute no.

"They're only 2kg"

Still gonna hurt when it lands on your bonce! Plasterboard does not in any way provide any kind of useful fixing with either plates or attaching to joists.

Ah I think my problem is that the joists are not near where the mirrorball motors are to be placed. I've had another look and I found a joist but it's several inches away from where they're to be positioned. They run parallel with the motor positions.

Forgot to say that the ceiling is just under 8ft from the floor.

Hmmmmm.... how about something like these? http://www.screwfix.com/p/spit-driva-plus-heavy-duty-fixing-with-45mm-screws-100pcs/31546#

Ah I think my problem is that the joists are not near where the mirrorball motors are to be placed. I've had another look and I found a joist but it's several inches away from where they're to be positioned. They run parallel with the motor positions.

Hmmmmm.... how about something like these? http://www.screwfix....s-100pcs/31546#

Same problem - you're relying on the plasterboard to take the load. I wouldn't.

Can't you fit a noggin between the joists so that you have a solid base to mount the ball onto?

I'm not stupidly tall at around 6'1" but I can touch an 8' ceiling. Which means I can grab a mirror ball hanging below one. Are members of the public able to grab your balls?

I'm not stupidly tall at around 6'1" but I can touch an 8' ceiling. Which means I can grab a mirror ball hanging below one. Are members of the public able to grab your balls?

*Tea...Laptop...Keyboard...* x 2 as I showed Mrs. IRW as well...you owe me a clean computer!

Let me put this in simple terms for you....

there is NO magic screw / gadget / gizmo that makes it safe or acceptable to attach several kilo's of kit above the public's head (well within knocking/tampering reach) utilising nothing but plasterboard that you know absolutely nothing about as the primary means of support.

If you want to do this you need to find a way to transfer the loading to the joists - this could be something as simple as a strip of plywood bridged between 2 joists to which the motor array can be properly attached. I'd also add a MASSIVE caveat about how low the cealing is and how just about every manufacturer and installer would advise against installing mirrorballs and motors within easy reach of 99% of your customer base; they WILL grab them, they WILL knock them, they WILL get drinks/liquid sprayed on them resulting in injury, damage or at the very least mirror tiles falling off.

I'm not stupidly tall at around 6'1"

I can confirm you are indeed stupidly tall.

The signs at our 'ickle venue warn that folks 5'10" and above may possibly have interface moments with hanging stuff.

Archived