Ammunition disposal.

samtibbs

Hello -

Can anyone advise of a sensible & practical way of disposing of out of date props ammunition and possibly pyros? We are planning on clearing out our armory and may need to slog some gear.

Any hints, tips, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

S x

'lo,

many moons ago I had the same thing we had a box of Strand pyros. I contacted Le Maitre who put me in touch with someone locally who collected the pyros and disposed of them.

Apparently the Strand pyros where around 20 years old at that point...

Sensibly and practically both depend on the device and your location. If you have somewhere to fire them that's the easiest way. If they are not stage pyros, what was the intended method of use? Can you do just that. Can find contacts for skilled disposal people if needed but that will be expensive.

Leave them somewhere obvious in a carrier bag with some old batteries and a few bits of spare electrical wire. Someone will come along and blow them up for you....http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Don't bother with the police - I once took in a jam jar of old but still live .22 ammo I found that someone had dumped in a layby. The desk sergeant took one look at the jar, gave it a good shake and threw it in the bin. Eeek!

Sensibly and practically both depend on the device and your location. If you have somewhere to fire them that's the easiest way.

I was asked by an auctioneer to help dispose of some pyro that had been left in a cupboard at a lighting company that had been liquidated. The easiest solution was to take them to the furthest corner of the car park, leave a very generous exclusion zone, and fire them off. He'd been worried that if they were left lying, someone would work out what they were and make some mischief with them.

Pyro - put it in a bucket of cold water and leave it for 24 hours. Drain and dispose of in your commercial waste.

Blank Ammo - contact your local police firearms licensing authority.

Archived