Strand 250ML

gibbothegreat

Gibbothegreat - Nothing was directed at you. Read my post just as you said to read mine. I stated the Forum not you specifically.

As I am the only person on the forum besides yourself to express an opinion on the desk (as far as I'm aware), how could this be interpreted as anything other than an attempt to invalidate my opinion? If it wasn't directed at me, it made no sense at all, as no-one has done the thing you said, so why would you raise it here?

User forums are of course a great place to get information. But just remember people complain far more than they ever praise. Thus those forums are usually 80% complaints. Not a good place to start in my book.

Well, that's very subjective, but a simple read of this thread alone would prove you wrong: you won't see me complaining about the FLX despite the fact that it isn't yet the finished article yet (as Zero88 would be the first to admit) That's because 1) it's been basically well thought out and 2) because their commitment to perfecting it is exemplary. I can live with the niggles as long as I know they're working hard to fix them.

I was simply offering an avenue where the OP could talk to a current end user and have solid feedback and ask questions with a possible face to face conversation rather than a forum thread.

themadhippy - I've used one once (you are correct there) but no where did I say 'My mate says its brilliant'. I said they love it. In comparison to the ETC Ion they have in the main house, they like them both. So maybe there is something to be said in the fact they use two ends of the spectrum (as viewed by many posts I've read on here).

There is no need to start being sour about a comment. We are all entitled to our views, and indeed opinions. I feel its better served if we give facts when someone asked for help or advice.

Sorry if you all feel differently.

I don't, but I'd be happier if you practised what you preach.

Thanks for the posts on this issue. Sorry that it has generated some heat. That was not my intention. I respect all the opinions offered and appreciate that they are given in good faith.

No worries, I'm actually quite pleased that it is working well for some folk

I I got a loan of the 250ML over the holidays and have been putting it through its paces with reasonable success. However, I can see how it would not be up to the standard of the Zero88 one that you eventually bought and which I would also love (although it is twice the price here in Ireland). It seems that the 250 is certainly better than the 200 but still has limitations.

You're doing all the right things - looking to talk to users, and above trying it hands on. If it works for you, it's a good desk

At this stage, unless I get a really good deal on the 250, I think I will be looking at the Jands M1 or the ETC Nomad solutions, both of which would not last a day in a professional setting but might just make it over the line for me, being on a tight budget.

Are you limited in how you buy (approved suppliers only, etc...)? if not, try talking to Stage Electrics - they were certainly doing a good deal on these for a while, although it's not showing online now, but if they still have stock they may well be amenable to giving you a good price for it. I would also talk to dealers about the FLX, don't think online prices are the best you'll get. Zero88 can point you in the right direction if you're not sure who to talk to.

Wow, this got heated quickly.

I don't think theatre technician was aiming at you. He said the forum and I agree with him from posts I've read for many years.

We had a Strand ML250 here for a while and generally liked it. Unfortunately we went all ETC with a new management and so have a Smartfade ML in the rehearsal space. I don't think the smart fade is anything near as good at the Strand.

Downside to the Strand ML250 is no Move In Black function. But when I used it I simply made 'Mark' cues just like when I used Hog2 all those years ago.

I don't think the smart fade is anything near as good at the Strand.

Interesting. And a perfect demonstration as to why you should always try before you buy.

I've used both and bought a Smartfade ML with my own money. YMMV.

Archived