Difference of theatrical bodies

HullBorn

Hi,

I'm currently researching the statutory and regulatory bodies and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the difference between the two? As everything I have found on the internet seems to be about governmental laws rather than organisations.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

You need to research first how laws are actually formed - so that means Acts of Parliament, which will lead you to Statutory Instruments. A Regulatory body can be researched quite easily in terms of function and remit.

In simplest terms, the regulatory body (or agency) have as their main weapon, the statutory instrument is the second form of making laws in the UK. The ultimate (Primary) form of UK law is an Act of Parliament. Secondary legislation is formed by the Primary Act - kind of a 'junior' or subservient system of law.

That's as clear as mud, of course. However - just look up a few acts and see how it works. Laws usually are enacted by the Government - organisations have no automatic rights, so although they can represent 'us', for example, they have no authority in general. They can use the law of course - but so can an individual.

I suspect you've been given this in the hope you'd perhaps find this out by doing some research on typical Government agencies and industry associations?

I'm looking at a few organisations such as Equity, Stage Management Association, Theatre Management Association and Association of British Theatre Technicians.

Jamie

Well AFAIK, none of those have any statutory or regulatory authority. Except Equity, they have no particular interesting legal status. Equity's status is only that of a trade union, for which there are distinctive legal provisions, but none specifically related to entertainment.

First of all there is little difference between statutory, set up by parliament, and regulatory, tasked with ensuring adherence to parliamentary law. That is why you are being guided toward governmental information.

Where you may also be confused is that none of the bodies you mention is either of the above or indeed has no enforcement duties which is yet another group that you may have in mind.

PLASA, ABTT and the others named as "Associations" are just that, groups of like minded people cooperating in their own and fellow members interests. They are Trade Associations rather than "Unions" which is what Equity is. PLASA is an awarding body, something else again, and Equity is a "Trades Union" yet another status.

The first thing you need to do is discover these definitions and then rethink your question so that it means something. At the moment it is a non starter. Pay more attention to the wording of questions in research such that they do not predetermine the outcome.

Thank you for all the replies. It has helped me understand more about this now.

I got confused by my assignment brief giving hints to Equity and ABTT and so on. Since I am focused on the stage management team, would I be correct in saying that an example of a statutory body would be the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and a regulatory body would be the HSE?

Or have I confused myself again.

Jamie

No - a statutory body would be an organisation set up to control an aspect of law (the statute) - They can be governmental, private or even public - but the Government have given them power. So the Health and Safety Executive would be the Statutory Body. A regulatory body does not need to have a statute behind it. So the TMA, for example could perhaps be considered a regulatory body because they have their own rules and regulations. They're not law, just something members who wish to join must subscribe to. Anybody who sets a regulation would be covered by the term. A good example could be the one that most electricians work to - the 17th edition wiring regulations BS7671 - a British Standard. It's a set of rules without any legal status - there isn't an Act of Parliament - so the British Standards Institute would also be something to look at - but I guess they're be arguments as to if their regulations really are regulations or a set of sensible guidelines and common sense. You'll have to try to separate all this mess, but you need to get a handle on the differences between law, guidance and good practice. Looks like Hull are making yet another hit on the Blue Room braincells!

@paulears

Thank you for that explanation, it has gone a long way to help me understand this topic a lot more and is helping me correct earlier mistakes I made.

@Brain

Thank you, I shall take a look at that link and have a read of your post.

@paulears

Thank you for that explanation, it has gone a long way to help me understand this topic a lot more and is helping me correct earlier mistakes I made.

@Brain

Thank you, I shall take a look at that link and have a read of your post.

Archived