DIY Gel Frame

Ekij

OK I know we shouldn’t make our own Gel frames, we should always use the fire-resistant ones made to exactly match the light we are using. (But, we should also get five portions of fruit and veg a day, it doesn’t always happen.)

I am doing lighting soon in someone else’s venue, I have no idea what lights they will have until the day and so can’t pre-empt what Gel holders to get. The owner of the gear lets us use it but locks away all the loose items like Gels and Gel holders (probably so we don’t break, lose, or eat them).

Having searched the archives I find some brief mentions of doing this but it’s not clear what it; or is not a good idea.

I've had afew ideas:

1] Cardboard (or 160gms paper). I hear that Gels melt at about 100 to 160C (Depending on which type) which is well below the combustion point of paper. I appreciate they won’t withstand much handling but is it ‘safe’ to do this?

2] Aluminium foil (baking foil) won’t burn but a lot harder to work with, probably tears the Gels easily.

3] Very thin plywood. Like cardboard but longer lasting.

Any recommendations or other ideas?

A cheaper alternative could be 3M aluminium tape. Works up to 240 degrees C and is available from Viking (Viking's Website).

Here's another link (Hydroponics World), that has it for £6.95.

Double glazing people use it for sealing the edges of window units. I've used it for makeshift gelframes very satisfactorily. Only downer is that it's silver and shiny.

Pete.

Jivemaster,

Sepending on what size frames your after, Stage Electrics do sell some fire-retardent fibreboard type frames. Mostly for the kind of lantens you'd find in a school (so Strand Quartet range for instance) but it might be worth a proper, more detailed look.

HTH,

Stu

Go to your local printer and see if they will give you some used Litho plats. These are thin sheet alu. that can be cut with a knife and have many uses (like building sets)

Also very good for making your own gobos!

Archived