A multi-school show, with both ends of H&S

paulears

We spent three hours this morning, going through the stage and associated areas making certain everywhere was safe for a big multi-school event later in the week. Kids of all ages, from schools in the local area. Last year we had a close shave when at the last minute an extra couple of items were hung on an already heavy bar, and nobody adjusted the counterweights. Just a tiny bit of out of balance, making the bar very slightly bar heavy, when before the two par cans and cable, it would go out on it's own. Our stage flys from stage level, and during the show somebody hung clothes on the brake lever, and knocked it off removing them. The bar then made an entrance very gracefully between two rows of dancers. Shortly after, we introduced a chain lock on the levers to stop it happening again - but today we were double checking and doing housekeeping. We spotted a cable hanging down, some bottles of fluid on ledges, unsecured pile of vertical conduit - that kind of stuff, and made the place safe, ready for the organisers safety visit. Last time, a small pair of steps had to be put away, because they're banned items (really?), and we were asked to moves some trailing sockets because these are very dangerous (really?) - but we complied. This morning a father of one of the kids arrived and wanted to talk about safety. I must admit my eyes went up to heaven - and then explained his daughter was an aerialist, and he wanted to know if we'd let him rig a silk for her to hang off? He had all the insurance and equipment testing paperwork, and a rigging certificate from a local firm confirming they had checked his rigging on a number of occasions and were of the opinion he was a competent person to carry out these processes. He gave the theatre a pack, containing all these documents, plus a risk assessment - and I'm going to let him do it.

It just made me smile the teachers deem everyday items very dangerous, but a proud parent is willing to hang his daughter from the grid!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? Good on you.

The fact that the parent has come in, explained what he wants to do, has the experience and validation to do it - proof of RA and certification and so on. Brilliant.

If same situation at my venue - Id be happy with that as well.

The fact of teachers going round preaching H&S about everything quite honestly is rubbish. More to the point - THEY should have done an RA and reduced possible risks, but banning ladders out of reach? Thats just rediculous. Why dont they just bubble wrap the entire backstage area so the kids dont graze themselves on a wall if they rub against it.

I think I mentioned a while back that some people at my old college got suspended because they had a set of treads on stage with no handrail!

How did they get suspended?

Was a proper RA done to see that the method of suspension was safe?

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'll get my coat.

Cheers

Gerry

Dad is well sorted because he's done this before.

A few years ago presumably he knew nothing about aerialists and rigging, and in supporting his daughter he subsequently had to become educated, trained and competent. And in doing so (along presumably with the desire not to injure his daughter) he learned how to "do it right". Ok, so he appears as a kids father, but in this scope, he is pretty much an entertainment professional, very different to the rest of the troop (staff and kids) from the school.

So I'd also agree Paul did the right thing.

It must be lovely not to have to ask all the usual questions, insurance, RA, kit inspected etc etc etc and being faced with blank stares...

I'm bracing myself for the complaints from the other schools - but oddly, quite looking forward to this as I shall actually learn from this because I have not actually seen how aerialist equipment is rigged and how it goes together. The only downside is I'll have to get the grid lights fixed!

Silks are depressingly simple - sling around something substantial on the grid, shackle hanging underneath and then the silk just fixes on to the shackle with an oversize carab. With silks you just use a long silk and modify your routine to fit the space/height; it's only when you get to hoops, trapeze and wire work that you have to start building sub-bars at a known height, bracing them in place and then hanging your set from that bar and also bracing all of your set again.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the respect circus performers/arialists treat their equipment though - I've met teenager performers who have stricter safety policies and keep their kit in better condition than most jobbing riggers.

The last aerial performer I worked with had several sets of silks for different heights, a respectable and immaculately cared for box of rigging bits for various situations and did all her own rigging.

Impressive stuff to watch too :)

It does look amazing. So graceful.

I seen some lighting ruin it though because the LD's being to arty and firing beams and gobo looks everywhere.

It dosent need it. Nice dark stage and just some good side-light to light the performer and I love the way the light catches the silk as it moves. Thats it ! Beautiful.

I can understand a circus performer taking supreme care of their rigging equipment, After all it is very often the only thing between them and a serious accident. In terms of lighting, I think silk performances should be lit with the same approach you would light ballet, simple, and heavy on the side light.

Good attitude, Paul and a good attitude from the dad proving his competence. ImagineerTom is almost certain to have seen the toddlers on stilts as I have often enough.

If you are born to the sawdust it is natural and I well remember a passing mother shouting; "The baby is climbing the Big Top!" to which his father replied; "Oh, is he? I told him to come down for his lunch ages ago."

The youngest trapeze artist to perform at International Circus level was four years old.

Slightly off topic, but my niece (around 25 y/o) who also occasionally does some noise work for us recently started going to aerialist sessions and uses silks and trapezes etc.

She started as an interesting and different way to help her get/keep fit but thoroughly enjoys it.

I'm just waiting for the time when I get a call asking whether we might be able to host a show for them at my venue....

Not sure what my response will be!

Much as it sounds a very different style to the stock in trade we host, I'd certainly have to look seriously about whether our grid is suitable (which I suspect it may not be).

Kinetic forces - some of the drops and swings involved in aerial performance produce some extreme momentary loads - the rule of thumb is 1ton per person on each point. I've put performers on (proportionately) lower strength points in the past but only when I've seen their act and so can make a good estimate of what kind of load they're actually going to be needing; for instance if a silks act has no drops and no Icarus elements (when they run in a circle and "fly" with the silks behind them) on a static silk (not on pulleys so they can be raised up and down in performance) and no safety luge and so is nothing more than climbs and poses then I'd be comfortable with something as low as 200kg rated point. If it's a static or (single) swing trapeze, hoop or cloud swing with drops and catches then I'd be looking at at least 2ton to cope with the dynamic forces and down-guys it would need, 3ton if it's a 2 person act - if you're down-guying for stability then its very easy to put the equivalent of a ton of pull on a point just by taking a normal ratchet to "finger tight" level.

As Tom says. The possibility of some serious force during swings and drops. Plus that 2 ton point might include their own Factor Of Safety. Presume they didn't ask for a 2T and then specify what FOS you should use for an SWL.

Of course, not only are their requirements strictly in kN rather than tonnes, it may also include lateral forces. An arielist will often just give people something they can deal with ie. "2 tonnes, please" and then take a look at the rest of it on site.

Archived