Amplifying Acoustic Guitars

JCC1996

Hi,

For the school talent night I will have to reinforce an acoustic guitar. I'm not sure if it is acoustic, semi-acoustic or electro-acoustic so I just want to check my options.

Obviously for acoustic it will be mic'd (probably with a multipurpose conducer?)

For the other two, I think they would need DI'd? However we don't have any DI boxes in school, and of course no budget, so is it possible to connect straight to the mixer? (the mixer will be no more than 6m away from the instrument).

Joe

Hi Joe,

You are correct. For the latter if you don't have a DI you can plug the guitar straight into the desk . With a distance of 6M this won't be a problem. One of the reasons that a DI is commonly used, it because in turns the unbalanced jack lead into a balanced signal which can travel greater distances of wire without picking up interference. For the mic option a "Condenser" microphone should be fine. Do check that it you are using phantom power for the condenser that if the desk you are using has global phantom power (phantom power applied to all XLR channels via a single switch) that the other inputs are not sensitive to this.

Mark

There are several acoustic pickups, some temp and others permanently fixed. There are lots of mics form the ubiquitous SM58 to esoteric ans expensive ones. The guitar may have pick ups already fitted. HOWEVER please listen to the sound critically, the right mic is the one that sounds right not the one that the book says.

Thanks everyone, I might well try the pickup straight into the desk with the mic as well. It's not an important gig, as the musicians aren't the star attraction so I have a bit of scope to try things out.

Joe

Turns out there was no need for this as both guitars have turned out to be plain old acoustic. Thanks anyway!

Joe

Archived