New application of a widowmaker

adam2

Have recently found and confiscated a fairly standard type of widowmaker consisting of a pair of 13 amp plugs each fitted with a length of 1.5mm flex.

BOTH flexes terminated in the same 32 amp single phase ceeform trailing socket.

It was being used to fast charge an electric vehicle, the owner of which claimed that this lead was supplied with the vehicle so as to permit of fast charging in locations equiped with only standard 13 amp sockets.

They did not realise the potential danger, despite having received a shock ! they stated that it must "be all right as it came with the vehicle"

I appreciate that electric vehicles are rather outside the remit of these forums, but am concerned that such handy leads might find their way into venues, and that inexperienced persons might presume that if they are "OK" charging vehicles, that they must therefore be suitable for say a dimmer .

BTW it had been PAT tested and passed ! therefore must be OK ?

I suspect there's going to be rather a lot of this if electric cars become common: charging through a 13A socket is going to be really very slow. There's also going to be a lot of work for sparkies fitting uprated supplies and c-forms to peoples garages. Of course if you park on the street miles from your house this is going to be more problematic.

It could be quite concerning that the average person off the street could be regularly plugging up fairly sizeable supplies, some cars are proposing using 32A 3 phase supplies.

If they just plug up from a properly installed supplies then there shouldn't be any issues, but what about the adaptor they make for their friend's car that uses a different connector. They buy some cheap bits of eBay, use some spare 2.5mm T&E they had in the shed and a whole new issue appears.

There are defined standard connectors now, designed specifically for the purpose which should mean no-one should have any need to be bodging the sort of lead you described. Working in the industry and designing EV electrical systems I too would be intrigued to know which vehicle this relates too.

BTW it had been PAT tested and passed ! therefore must be OK ?

Was it a branded company sticker or a hand-scrawled one? Presumably the one-day, box-ticking, certificate-issuing PAT training course doesn't cover items such as these...

It could be quite concerning that the average person off the street could be regularly plugging up fairly sizeable supplies, some cars are proposing using 32A 3 phase supplies.

Any worse than kiddies in the entertainment industry hooking up the same stuff?

Not any worse really, though you have the added fun of an earthed structure potentially outside the PME bonded zone (in turn no worse than extension leads into marquees).

I am often concerned by the use of high current supplies in our industry by people who have little understanding other than this 'plug goes here'.

Had an almost stand up row with a chef in a venue I went to visit the other day. Talking about a long term marquee installation but no decent sized power nearby I suggested we pop in the kitchen as they often have 32A ceeforms hanging around which are pretty handy. found a 32A ceeform... yes, you guessed it....

Archived