In your opinion, what is the most effective sound recording equipment?

GlenHartley15

I am a BA Hons student and am currently writing a dissertation piece on "How has the use and creativity of Sound Recording changed during the 20th Century"

I currently have some books, journals and websites to run off, but I would prefer to have some

more defined knowledge from Sound Designers or people who have researched this or a related topic

beforehand.

If you have anything to offer or say please comment!

In your comment if you can please define where your knowledge has come from and where your place of study is in the industry.

Thanks again and comment away!

Not sure where you'll end up with this as the technology behind sound changed out of all recognition during those 100 years.

At the start of the century the flat disk had only just been developed and experiments were taking place on magnetic wire recorders. I'm not sure but I don't think the electric motor had yet been refined enough to drive things accurately, so everything was clockwork and cumbersome.

Compare that with the fully digital systems we had by the turn of the millennium.

Creativity is more subjective, but its clear that technology has aided creativity although there are those that argue that it went backwards when the technology went largely digital!

My interest started in the early 60's and I went into an apprenticeship in the late 60's starting on valve kit as 'transistors' were new and lacked the dynamic range of the valves. I dropped out of the industry to go into computers in the late 70's and have only 'played on the periphery' as an amateur since.

I would suggest that each 20 - 25 years of the century saw a complete revolution of sound recording equipment, techniques and corresponding creative output. You might consider using a series of "checkpoint's" to research around. You can then hopefully talk to those involved in the later ones, and do detailed research into specific events for the earlier ones to support your dissertation.

The Science Museum did a history of recordings a few years back that was goo. I don't remember seeing it on my last visit three years ago, but suggest its worth an enquiry or visit.

Not directly related, but I'm told by a relative that's been that The House Of Music in Vienna is incredible and also has lots of useful material.

Good luck... I have a feeling you are going to need it!

Just think of all the audio recording formats that didn't quite make it - Philips DCC, Sony Elcassette, even betamax, via the F1 digital adaptor. You even perhaps should research Les Paul and Mary Ford - controlling his Ampex recorders from his guitar! The history of Revox and Ferrograph tape recorders. Licensing issues - as with the Ferrrograph switching Dolby noise reduction OFF if you went to 15IPS. I wonder if you need to narrow yourself a bit - the subject is simply huge?

Thank you again for your comment and time! Yes I will now be looking into contacting the Science Museum and have ordered nd loaned many books discussing the change throughout discs to digital formations of sound record.

The topic is very wide as you have both said! I'll be finding ways of defining it soon!

Not sure where you'll end up with this as the technology behind sound changed out of all recognition during those 100 years.

At the start of the century the flat disk had only just been developed and experiments were taking place on magnetic wire recorders. I'm not sure but I don't think the electric motor had yet been refined enough to drive things accurately, so everything was clockwork and cumbersome.

Compare that with the fully digital systems we had by the turn of the millennium.

Creativity is more subjective, but its clear that technology has aided creativity although there are those that argue that it went backwards when the technology went largely digital!

My interest started in the early 60's and I went into an apprenticeship in the late 60's starting on valve kit as 'transistors' were new and lacked the dynamic range of the valves. I dropped out of the industry to go into computers in the late 70's and have only 'played on the periphery' as an amateur since.

I would suggest that each 20 - 25 years of the century saw a complete revolution of sound recording equipment, techniques and corresponding creative output. You might consider using a series of "checkpoint's" to research around. You can then hopefully talk to those involved in the later ones, and do detailed research into specific events for the earlier ones to support your dissertation.

The Science Museum did a history of recordings a few years back that was goo. I don't remember seeing it on my last visit three years ago, but suggest its worth an enquiry or visit.

Not directly related, but I'm told by a relative that's been that The House Of Music in Vienna is incredible and also has lots of useful material.

Good luck... I have a feeling you are going to need it!

Is this homework?

Do you really mean 20th century? There have been major changes in the past 12 years.

What do you want to record? I'd choose very different gear for a six week trek through the jungle recording nature than I would in a studio for a large band.

...and so on.

Basically this question is impossible to answer until you put more thought and detail into it.

Effective is a difficult one to answer - but I suppose direct cut 78rpm acetates. They were around for a long time and most are still playable (unlike some 1/4" tapes, DATs and CD/CDRs). The replay equipment is relatively easy to make, both mechanically and electronically and almost anyone can operate it. There were even field recorders available from the early '40s. The quality might have been poor compared to more modern formats (but surprisingly good in actual fact) and editing was a bit difficult ("jump cuts" were possible) and they would only survive a few playings but they were a very effective format.

from the OPs other, similar topic

"I am a BA Hons student and am currently writing a dissertation piece on "How has the use and creativity of Sound Recording changed during the 20th Century"

I currently have some books, journals and websites to run off, but I would prefer to have some

more defined knowledge from Sound Designers or people who have researched this or a related topic

beforehand."

blindly shooting springs to mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived