Cutting circles in foam

peza2010

Hi all.

Im looking for a cheap and easy way to cut nice, neat circles in typical "flightcase" foam.

I have tried a sharp knife, which still leaves jagged edges (did I mention im rubbish at most things craft like)

so any ideas would be great.

Would anything like a circle cutter drill bit work?

(holes upto 30cm in circumference)

Cheers, George

E2A: im also looking at sensible ways to label onto the foam.

each hole is going to house a different thing, so I would like to label each whole directly onto the foam.

I was originally thinking printing onto paper, laminating and gluing, but I have a bit of OCD when it comes to casing and what a nice looking way of doing it that doesnt have the labels falling off every few minutes.

Use something like Liquid Evostick - literally sticks anything you need. You will have to rip the actual foam before you remove the label.

What about a electric carving knife with a fine blade. ? Or even a jigsaw? I've seen people use both on polystyrene. No reason it wont work on dense flight case foam I guess?

an electric drill will just snag the foam and you'll end up with a huge torn hole which I gather you don't want. Foam is a pita because it blunts knives really quickly. You can use a hot knife or hot wire if you have access to one, failing that a long sharp blade is your best bet. Depending on how rigid the foam is you can sand the final cut.

...a long sharp blade is your best bet....

If you use the craft knives with snap-off blades you can extend a fresh blade right out of the handle giving yourself a 3" cutting edge.

I use a good quality filleting knife and keep it well sharpened with a steel. Not cheap - but can also be used in the kitchen!

The hot wire method may release a certain amount of decomposition products from the foam. In a well ventillated space this may not be problematic. If not well ventillated, you could find yourself breathing in such nasties as gaseous hydrogen chloride, vinyl chloride or diisocyanates.

Although not giving a perfect finish on complex shapes, the electric carving knife is a pretty good tool, and I have used one extensively for case foaming.

I would be looking down the route of maybe asking my local friendly flightcase company to CNC it for me. Bearing in mind, this is what they do everyday, so will more then likely take 5 mins for them, be a perfect finish, and only cost you a crate of beer.

Archived