time to wheel out the shotguns?

WiLL

Do you have an assistant director? This is what most groups do when the director is acting in a major part. There is no way they can act properly and be aware of shortcomings with the piece! In this case there needs to be someone really concentrating on the issue

Experienced views? Hmmm?

W1ll, you really are on what Paul and I call "a hiding to nothing". You would be better off with no amplification and more rehearsal/re-casting the weak voices. Controlling the band levels is the first problem and if you can't reduce to minimum then no amount of radio mic'ing when the performers are in front of and facing the band will be any good. Shotguns would only be marginally better for this.

Speaker positions in your lay-out would also be interesting and from the sketch would be in the faces of the audience while the band would be in either left or right ears, awkward!

When solutions raise more problems than they solve they are no longer solutions. One of the best lessons in performing arts is that of learning where and when and how much expense is the point at which to cut your losses and concentrate on the things that can be achieved/improved.

As technicians we can get bogged down in technological answers when the show is the thing. Getting the show right is far more important to the audience who will forgive, or not even notice, what is to us a disaster. Concentrate on the direction is my best advice.

I was more suggesting that with some thought it's probably not a very radio mic hungry show. There's a lot of freedom in the show to swap parts and mix it up. In my instance it meant 33 kids speaking the 13 parts, which I managed on 30 mics. With that in mind I reckon it'd be possible to get the 13 scripted parts on less than that. Depending on the number of shotguns or PZM's you decide you need, it may not be that much more to get 8 radios.

Look on YouTube, there's an American college who perform it unamplified, with just a few handheld mics. It's poor audio on the recording but you can tell that it sounds ok in the room.

I've got to say though, in the room I did it in, with our band, it wouldn't have worked without radio mics.

Archived