Diffusion For Naked Lamps

p.k.roberts

I have some chandelier type fittings which take 'candle' bulbs and are used as part of a set, diffused or 'pearl' versions are no longer available so I am using the type which have a halogen capsule in a larger, traditionally shaped glass envelope. The (near) point sources these produce are rather harsh, so I'd like to add some type of diffusion to the outer envelopes. Having googled around, I can't seem to any dip or paint specifically intend to do this, so before I start experimenting and probably re-inventing the wheel, does anyone have any suggestions for a material I could use? Adding shades or anything similar is not an option, it needs to be something directly applied the the lamps.

You can buy glass frost spray in a can, and I know people have had good results from it. I would see if you can find some and check from the makers what it would be like at high temp when dry.

It maybe too late but I have some halogen holders, you buy the screw holder, the capsule and then the globe, they have various styles and frosts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dlighting&field-keywords=bell+halogen+adaptor&sprefix=Bell+hal%2Ckitchen%2C144&rh=n%3A213077031%2Ck%3Abell+halogen+adaptor

I would simply buy some pearl or opal lamps, they are in fact still available from a number of sources.

If dimming is not required, then candle shaped DFLs have the advantages of long life, less heat and much reduced power use.

I am assuming that the chandelier's purpose is to dress the set and give the illusion of lighting the room. Of course, you can't really do this as you can't get any reflection off the open proscenium so to the audience the actors will be in silhouette. When the production requires it, you can put lanterns above the chandelier and provide a fan of lighting away from it and use this as your key light. However it is more often perfectly satisfactory to dim the chandelier so it is bright enough to be seen and light the set using your theatre lighting in a more conventional way. You can reinforce the illusion with gobos onto the top of the set pieces and such like, but even this is an over kill most of the time and the audience will easily go along with the chandelier lighting the scene if they can see the actors clearly and the colours used match what kind of chandelier it is. I know this is not what you asked and apologies if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs!

Thanks for the suggestions so far; just to be clear, these do need to be dimmable, so CFLs are not an option, and they are for effect rather than actual illumination; all I'm trying to reduce is the small and to my mind distracting hotspots of an undiffused lamps.

You can buy glass frost spray in a can, and I know people have had good results from it. I would see if you can find some and check from the makers what it would be like at high temp when dry.

It maybe too late but I have some halogen holders, you buy the screw holder, the capsule and then the globe, they have various styles and frosts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dlighting&field-keywords=bell+halogen+adaptor&sprefix=Bell+hal%2Ckitchen%2C144&rh=n%3A213077031%2Ck%3Abell+halogen+adaptor

Are these dimmable at all? If so it may solve a problem I have....

Yep, they are just halogen bubbles and work as normal. the 1 downside I discovered is the "covers" are EXACTLY like light bulbs and really really thin glass that likes to break.

I've got them as both ES and BC but without covers but you can get frosted halogens to go with them.

Yep, they are just halogen bubbles and work as normal. the 1 downside I discovered is the "covers" are EXACTLY like light bulbs and really really thin glass that likes to break.

I've got them as both ES and BC but without covers but you can get frosted halogens to go with them.

I have no covers as well, I MAY have put one in my bag which may have broken quite a bit.

I did just discover frosted halogens looking for the product above. I may have to get some .

Archived