Rigging moving heads directly to unistrut

Jamtastic3

Hi BR.

Quick question.... anyone rigged a moving head directly to unistrut on a ceiling? Can unistrut take the load (around 25kg)? It's to create minimal distance from the ceiling to the fixture in an already low ceiling room without using scaff pipe.

Cheers!

Can unistrut take the load (around 25kg)?

It's not so much a question of if the unistrut can take the load but can what holds the unistrut up take the load?

All the data you need on the Unistrut itself is on their website. You see it used by builders, electricians and HVAC engineers to hold loads way greater than 25kg.

Seen it done in small club install were ceiling height was at a premium. This was a case of putting the unistrut up first, then using it though, so they had a good idea as to what it could hold.

I've installed several TV studios where the entire grid is held up with Unistrut, as in lights, pantographs, lighting tracks, tab tracks AND all of the associated cabling and cable management.

Like Brian says, it's more a matter of how the unistrut is held up that is the issue, If it's screwed in to softwood with 1/2 inch screws it's going to hold a whole lot less than if it's held up there with lots of anchor bolts or Lindapters.

As for the logistics, personally I'd go for securing some studding to the unistrut then attaching the hook clamp brackets to the studding before finally attaching the fixture. If its a big installation with lots of fixtures it's probably worth getting an engineering firm to knock up some plates to correctly space out the studding. It'll add a few quid to the build in cost but it'll save you loads of time on site. Using the normal hook clamp brackets (minus the hook clamps) will allow for the light to be easily de-rigged for maintenance etc.

Cheers guys! I thought this may be OK. I just wasn't sure if the channel nuts could take the weight. I'll have a butchers at Unistrut's site too for SWL's etc.

The Unistrut is going to be getting bolted into large timber joists above the ceiling plasterboard (by someone who knows more than me about it).

unistrut, it's fittings and it's derivatives will take an incredible weight - even before it flexes. and since the force of your weight is the weight x the distance from the fixing you often need only tighten up the fixing centres to hang a ridiculous amount from them - for lighter loads the half depth channel is fine or even the pressed steel version. they make double sided channel for beefing up where large spans and'or weights are involved. you contractor though is highly unlikely to buy unistrut - there are so many similar strutting systems on the market that are far cheaper than the identical brand name unistrut.

for your one stop shop at reasonable prices in small quantities try Hilti and their strut system - all the weight loadings etc are in their catalogue and they will usually be only too happy to work out the calcs for you on even a modest job - and spec the right fixings for you from their range.

you often need only tighten up the fixing centres to hang a ridiculous amount from them
Just to clarify, by tightening up the centres I take it you mean 'move them closer together' rather than 'physically tighten the nuts/botls'?

yes i.e. reduce the force (weight x distance)

Unistrut is designed for mounting heavy stuff easily and safely, its what the M&E is based around and its generally the solution for permanantly mounting anything at height. Its simple enough to mount omega clamps to strutting with bolts and zebs and then turn the "wingnuts" on the clamps with an AJ done right up, that way you can get the unit almost at the ceiling . Bolt an m10 eybolt to the chanel as a safety point and away you go...

As you are in Edinburgh, you could look at the Voodoo Rooms, all the fixtures in the ballroom are mounted using strutting screwed direct to the ceiling timbers { as is the flown sound system}, its a neat solution where you dont want to ruin a nice room with a load of hardware, but you need the fixtures...

Archived