Rigging Manfrotto's

Stee_cri1

Hi All,

I have an interesting question for all as I have my opinion and my boss seems to have his.

So the question is if I have two manfrotto's with a 6ft scaff bar and then hang a 25kg projector of it do I need a qualification to do this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys

Steve

If you know nothing and as a result of the qualification process, have gained the right skills, everyone is happy. If you already know how to do it safely, then the qualification is probably pointless.

The trouble is really with your boss. If he or she believes you need to be qualified to do everything, then you'll never get any work done. Last week I jabbed somebody with an epipen waiting for an ambulance. Somebody in the room said they couldn't have done that, because they hadn't been epipen trained, and were getting qualified next week! I've never been trained, but I can read instructions.

Add the weight of the scaff bar to the weight of the projector, look at the footprint of the legs, and make the call, once you've established how likely it is that somebody bumps into it.

You don't *need* a qualification - but you have to be competent to carry out the task, and a qualification is one way of helping to prove that you are (although it won't, on its own, necessarily be conclusive evidence of competence).

Manfrotto whats?

You need some kind of evidence that you are competent, satisfying the insurer is the important part. Is it your insurer or the boss's, if you have to satisfy the boss so that he can satisfy his insurer then there may be a need for some training but maybe not to full structural engineer level!

Think about the arguments we have had here about forklift and MEWP ticketing. Those qualifications do not relieve the employer of their duty of care under HASAWA to satisfy themselves and the law of the competence of their workforce. Your boss could do that by inspecting your working methods, he does not need a qualification from a third party who may or may not be reliable.

Should he decide you really do need a piece of paper in Manfrotto Manipulation Methods, I am more than happy to provide one following your visit to Wild Wales, at reasonable cost.

Well, I reckon it would be reasonable, he won't! What kind of certificate would you like?

Ha Seano that is very observant of you. I do have to say that presumptions have all been correct. I have spent many year putting up truss, stages and so on and so forth.

He is the first person that has ever pulled me up for such a small thing, in my opinion. But I am glad to see that I am not alone in my thoughts.

May be worth a chat with him I think. Well speak to him and let him shout ha ha ha

Thank you all guys

Archived