A good lighting primer book

DrV

When I'm not mending lighting systems I do the lighting for a reasonably well equipped AmDram Soc. I'm really only a technician in that respect, although I do get by with all the other tasks - you know the AmDram setup - LD, LX, rigger, programmer, board OP all rolled into one at a varying levels of competence!

I currently have an enthusiastic teenager on the team and we would like to buy her a lighting book as a thank you for her help and as an encouragement to go further in the field. So, I am looking for suggestions of a title which would cover elementary lighting design done the right way, rather than the haphazard way I have been teaching her. Actually I could probably do with reading it myself too B-)

If this is a topic that has been covered then please point me that way - I couldn't find one...

Thanks

Dave

I'm sure we've covered this before - a search will likely bring up some recommendations. Mine would be Francis Reid's Stage Lighting Handbook.

Tried various search terms with no luck!

Thanks for the quick response. The book that comes up alongside it on Amazon also looks very interesting and is a later publication so might also be a candidate.

I have changed my position on this over recent years. In my view there are no decent books on lighting - certainly lighting design as an art form in its own right or, indeed, as part of the collaborative creative process.

There might be a few manuals that give a rather mechanistic approach to the subject - Reid, Pilbrow being examples.

If you were to force me to choose a book to give as a present, then Nick Moran's book would be the one - Amazon have it, although I'm sure there are other booksellers out there that pay tax; Methuen, I am told, cut out all the interesting bits about philosophy and thinking about light.

KC

(Declaration of interest: Nick is a friend and the external examiner of the course I sometimes teach on.)

Actually, this is quite interesting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullet-Proof-Wish-Was/dp/0811874583/ref=pd_sim_b_3

....well designed book; good quality photographs; not an endless list of numbers...

I'm also a big fan of the Nick Moran book, and I've never even met him! Well written, current, comprehensive and very 'readable'.

My bold - it does seem to be the only one which makes mention of LEDs in its online index

Thanks all for the replies so far

Dave

DO have a search, I am sure there are "ideas" about. IT is an odd thing but for free lee will send swatch books and "the art of light" it is a breakdown of colours they do and what they are nice for. Arguably very technical but quite a good "ideas" book.

In my view there are no decent books on lighting... There might be a few manuals that give a rather mechanistic approach to the subject - Reid...

Years ago I had a mate, he was a member of a teenybop beat combo that was all over the telly back in the day. After the teenybop thing ended, he did a good trade in teaching people guitar. He used to relate this story. Every now and again a kid would turn up and would say "Are you good enough to be able to teach me to be Jimmy Hendrix?" And he would reply along the lines of "no, but before you can be as good as Hendrix, you've got to be at least as good as me". That (and the gold records hanging on the wall) usually sealed the gig.

And the same is true of lighting. Before you can be the next David Hersey or Patrick Woodroffe you've gotta know some basic stuff, arse from elbow. Reid will get you there.

After you've learned your craft, then you can discover the art.

Archived