X32 Family

dbuckley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As posted on one of the other threads yesterday, I spent Sunday afternoon in a tech rehearsal as dep engineer on the x32, with the x32's owner monitor mixing simultaniously (and moving faders under my fingers to prove a point) via wireless laptop and router, while the guitarist altered his personal in ear mix with the iphone app - the whole thing was quite surreal!

I work my first show with the band concerned and the x32 on Saturday

About that.

I was wondering if there is any security system about all of this connectivity.

Giving the chance to the performes to adjust their monitoring levels remotely it can be very useful in order to save time and stress.

But I wouldn't cetrainly take the risk of seeing performers messing arounf with other mixes and settings in your total unawareness.

Is there any protocol which allow you to set what a remote control can and overall CAN'T modify in the desk settings?

'm starting to see the rack mount units far more as a dsp engine than a console. Speaker management, room analysis, seem like quite useful boxes to me! I think they've missed a trick in not including even just one or 2 mic inputs on the 1u version though. Guess any analogue I/o will have to be via the expander cards they mention if you want to do any of the things I suggest. Still, even in the 3u version it's pretty smart.

You're right, with a few more inputs it could be a great mixer/ zone controller for installs. Your typical bar and hotel staff will have far less problems working an app than a traditional analogue mixer.

Is there any protocol which allow you to set what a remote control can and overall CAN'T modify in the desk settings?

bearing in mind my limited hours on the desk to best of my knowledge 'locking out' is still on the wish list but they keep adding features with each software release and I know some have asked for it.

in the set up we were trailing it wouldn't be an actual issue, here's why:

access by iphone

to the best of my knowledge, the iphone app only alters fader levels, the individual musician uses his phone to select the monitor mix that is applicable to their IEM's, once they see their particular bus send, they are free to access all sounds going thro the desk and balance the combination of channels on their bus send.

with bands working on stage, each musician has their own monitor mix on screen and there is no reason for them to touch another bus send - so in that application we found it fine.

this would make it easier to run a single engineer show in venues of say 500 seats that may otherwise use a monitor engineer.

it also means that a single engineer can step up on stage, pull his phone out of his pocket and walk about the stage altering monitor mixes.

access by wireless laptop.or ipad.

this is more 'full on' access. we used a wireless laptop for the exercise to all intents and purposes it gives most of the features that the desk does, though not as intuitive to operate. a single engineer can take his laptop and sit elsewhere in the venue to mix, do the same walk on stage and set monitors exercise as above and theoretically you could get by using the lap top as a second simultaneous mixing station - e.g. laptop mixing FOH with one engineer while desk is side of stage with a monitor engineer. I have to say that it wouldn't be a solution I would employ regularly or be enthusiastic about but it would be a usable work around. for a longer sound check one could even sit with laptop at side of stage to sort monitor mixes before retreating to FOH desk position.

locking down access in the future.

my understanding is that the behringer software development team are working on lots of little updates and I know some have requested 'lock out' features. I don't see a practical need for 'lock out' when repeatedly working with a band and in my world it IS going to be that repeat work where the iphone app is used anyway can you see the look on the next visiting engineer otherwise...'wadda ya mean I can't use my iphone for my in ears?' I think if you were working with say an orchestra pit where the musicians changed regularly dependant on production then you would opt for the P16 monitors.

I should also say that a couple of third party apps are starting to emerge already so if you felt so disposed I guess you could get someone to write a bespoke iphone app. someone has released a beta test this week of a pc based scene manager for theatre use as a work around for the (!00?) scene limit.

Must admit I found the review to be not too informative - i.e. it did not (apart from explaining where the hidden headphone sockets are) really tell me anything that couldn't be found from the cut sheet...

I agree, very poor article. Not sure they actually did anything other than turn it on and play a CD on it.

I thought the same - 'the sound on sound' review was useful but you would have to purchase that (available for download).

I have to say that at this stage even that review doesn't cover what the desk can do - heck even the manual doesn't really cover it! which I guess is one of the issues with a desk which is having software and software features added every month or so.

The thread over on Soundforums is by far the best place to find out about it. It's over 5000 posts now so difficult to find anything specific though if you join in late. Uli and various other members of his team are regularly posting there and accepting feature requests so it's a good place to stay up to date with what's happening.

I agree with the comments about the review, I'd been hoping for the in-depth treatment that they often give to moving lights. It looks almost like they felt obliged to put something together to cover it, but given how much material has been written elsewhere, the piece didn't really add anything to the general body of knowledge.

Archived