Creating a moon

Humey

For an upcoming production of Salome I have been asked to create a large moon, about 2 metres in diameter, that can be lit from the front and used for back projection.

I have a very limited budget so I am looking at creating a large hula hoop from Poly tubing but I am looking for a suitable material to cover it in. I have a read a few things about using shower curtains for rear projection.

Does anybody have any advice or even experience of using shower curtains?? I have, as I said, a very limited budget.

Could you use something like this for what you are taking about?

You can get them from Highlite (Showtec), They are around 3m in diameter though, so slightly bigger than you wanted.

http://highlite.nl/var/StorageHighlite/ProduktBilder/89043.jpg

[iMAGE SOURCE: http://highlite.nl/silver.econtent/catalog/highlite/entertainment_products/showtec/textiles/backdrops/circle_cloth_white]

...a large hula hoop from Poly tubing...

For projection you need a smooth surface. For a smooth surface you need tension in the material. For tension in the material you need a rigid frame. See where I'm going?

...a large hula hoop from Poly tubing...

For projection you need a smooth surface. For a smooth surface you need tension in the material. For tension in the material you need a rigid frame. See where I'm going?

Alternatively, if front projection can be tolerated, then the moon can be something rigid like plywood on a frame. Far less of a problem getting a smooth surface on plywood.

You could hire one of those 'pop-open' circular reflectors used for bouncing light on video shoots etc.

I cant remember the proper name for them, but the one I used on a job once must have been at least 2M diameter. They are rigid and lightweight.

Oh yes, that's true.

Another cheapER method would be to hire or buy a Scaf circle. Not as expensive as truss of course and durable enough to stretch some cheap white fabric over.

I've done that before and simply white cable tied the fabric onto the pipe. You then just hang the circle 'face forward' and away you go!!

Oh yes, that's true.

Another cheapER method would be to hire or buy a Scaf circle. Not as expensive as truss of course and durable enough to stretch some cheap white fabric over.

I've done that before and simply white cable tied the fabric onto the pipe. You then just hang the circle 'face forward' and away you go!!

When we needed the same effect in Olympus we had a flown plywood disk. This was painted brilliant white. The projector was flown in and just used the keystone adjustment to compensate for it projecting down at an angle. It worked really well, and of course the projector wasn't visible as it was up in the rig. No wrinkles to stretch out of plywood,.

You could hire one of those 'pop-open' circular reflectors used for bouncing light on video shoots etc.

I cant remember the proper name for them, but the one I used on a job once must have been at least 2M diameter. They are rigid and lightweight.

Lastolite is probably the best known brand, and they do make a diffuser option which would probably do the job; the larger versions tend to be rectangular though. If you can compromise on size, then there cheaper options which are possibly 'inspired by' Lastolite such as this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-in1-Collapsible-Light-Reflector-Photography-43-110cm-/160871102301?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item2574aa375d

thanks for the replies.

Budget is around £100. I was planning on working out a method of keeping the material taught over the 'hula hoop'. The lastolite idea is great, I will look into that. Maybe I need to way up front vs rear projection..

Archived