Oscilloscope

Bryson

I'm looking for some way of getting some video footage of an oscilloscope, reacting to some audio I want to feed through it. I want to edit it later on my Mac, so it doesn't neccessarily need to be "real". What I'm after is an old-fashion single green line trace. Anyone got any ideas where I could get this from?

You could try doing a screen capture of a recording in Cool Edit Pro or Adobe Audition as it's now known using something like snag it. It's not strictly a single line though, and I'm sure you've already thought of this ** laughs out loud **.

What if you made an animation in flash or something like that with a wobbly line? No idea how I'd do it, possibly draw a straight line across the screen, then add extra points along the line, drag them up or down, spline the line so it's wobbly not angular, then get flash to create tweens would be my guess.

You could, of course, use a 'scope, but you'd probably get "refresh rate" problems or such like.

Good luck with whatever you do.

HTH

Chris

Try the 'Mac OS X Software' option under the Apple and then a search for Osciliascopes and/or RTA type software. I think there might well be one called Mac the Scope. Then capture the image some how. Not too sure on what software to use for that.

I'm actually close with taking control of the iTunes visualiser. Someone on a Mac forum told me about the undocumented control keys for it!

I have to add the colour in Post, but aside from that, it seems to be working ok. Not sure if I'm going to get scan issues when capturing it though.

If you've a way of video-ing it, I've got an Oscilloscope I'm trying to sell/get rid of if that'd be any use for you? ;)

As for getting sound through it, I'm not sure - will have a play with it tonight when I get home from work :D

Ok.

, = lock mode

q & w = tab through waveforms

a & s = tab through background effects

z & x = tab through colours

h = help

There's some other functions too which I'm not using. Just try all the keys and see what they do!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived