Miss Saigon Sound Effects

tom.walford

I'm struggling to create / find the sound effects required for an upcoming school production of Miss Saigon.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find them or create them out of existing effects.

Main requirement are a variety of Huey helicopter sounds!!!

Cheers

Tom.

http://soundbible.com/1894-Helicopter-Hovering.html

something like that?

Although you could visit a local airfield and record something like a Robinson, and lower the pitch a little and then layer another on top - as a number of helicopters evacuating at the same time. Much of the impressiveness of this scen is the sheer noise (it MUST be loud) and the smoke and lights. I'd suggest that few people can tell the real sound of one of the 'real' aircraft. So some artistic license will work wonders.

You might also look for the TV series MASH - earlier Hueys, but similar sounding and in the TV programme often heard landing and taking off, with little music and effects - just noise!

Miss Saigon? ...helicopter sound FX?...Goodnight Saigon ....Billy Joel .....an unforgettable night in a field .... "Yes, we will all go down together". We really were 'as sharp as knives' back then and I can't believe it was 30 years ago.

There is a genuine Vietnam era chopper in the intro, allegedly. Loop it?

The FREESOUND PROJECT is always a great source for effects (some of mine are even on there!).

Once you have a bunch of source sounds, get yourself a decent audio workstation (Reaper is free to try and only $60 to buy) and start layering, EQing, looping, adding effects, etc. etc.

Frankly, creating sound effects is my favourite part of the sound design job...try it and have fun!

I'm a regular (registered!) goldwave user, and have fallen a bit for another of their products, multiquence, which makes layering effects trivially easy. The unregistered version is enough to do useful stuff with. Open it, drag and drop audio files on, but very neat is right click, and then you get level and pan timelines.

• 2 months later...

Miss Saigon? ...helicopter sound FX?...Goodnight Saigon ....Billy Joel .....an unforgettable night in a field .... "Yes, we will all go down together". We really were 'as sharp as knives' back then and I can't believe it was 30 years ago.

There is a genuine Vietnam era chopper in the intro, allegedly. Loop it?

Just had a quick listen to the joel track on 'phones as was intrigued by a more current thread asking similar questions - that chopper sounded more like a synthesiser effect. A mate of mine back in the 80's was quite good at creating that sound on his old custom made synth. (I doubt he's still got it though...!)

Archived