Graphics and Projection

JCC1996

Hi,

I've got a question I've been wondering about for a while: what kind of software is used for creating animated graphics? I'm thinking of the ones like you see at the back of Strictly Come Dancing (I only watch it for the lights and graphics... honest http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r2.gif!!) and if anyone has seen the digital set for Pantomusicals, and even the start of the Film Riot clips on youtube? I have been dabbling in animated content for a while now using keynote, but I am looking for a 'step-up' software that might allow me to create something a little closer to the things above. I'm not expecting to get the same complexity as the professional content, just something I can move on to to make better graphics (preferably without spending a fortune)?

Also, (back to my secret shame!) how are the graphics on the dancefloor done in Strictly? Is is just projectors flown above it?

Thanks

Joe

Motion graphics are generally done in Adobe After Effects, worth getting into it if you have the time / inclination to learn it. Expensive, though it is an industry standard so you can get properly paid work by knowing how to animate in after effects.

a cheap option is Apple Motion http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/motion/ this is a good fast package which allows you to create animations which look pretty good. Its not as powerful as after effects but is an affordable way to get into doing CG animation.

Thanks,

I was under the impression that Motion was just an add on to Final Cut, can it be used as a stand alone piece of software? If so then it might well be the way to go, because I plan to buy Final Cut sometime in the near future. As much as I would love After Effects- I think the price is just a little too steep at the moment, although the CS6 education bundle is maybe worth looking into. I think it comes with After Effects?

Joe

Motion is a standalone app, you do not need FCP to use it.

I would not recommend anyone started to learn FCP at this point in time. If you can get the Education discount then go with Adobe CS6 - Premiere and After Effects are much better than the Apple products.

Bluff Titler is a text animation thing isn't it? Looks great if you want to make 90s style 3d spinning text, I don't think it is really comparable to After Effects or Motion.

Perhaps slightly OT, but why what makes you say that about FC? I've been trying to make a decision for a while about which one to get, but I was leaning towards Final Cut- so if you have information to the contrary I'd love to hear it!

The only thing that put me off CS6 was that I think my laptop falls below the required graphics specs.

Joe

Up till version 7 of FC Apple had kept a very standard interface, simillar to Premiere and Avid systems I believe. With Final Cut X they massively overhauled the interface and program as a whole. It's looks a different beast to the older versions.

It's only £200 or thereabouts, so if you can get a copy there is probably no harm in learning it. That said some people have described it as iMovie Pro, so maybe if you've been playing Keynote, have a fiddle with iMovie to get the basic concepts of Non Linear Editing, then once you can edit, download the demo of FCX.

Motion is only £49 IIRC, so again possibly worth a punt to start learning some of the basics of compositing before you she'll out on Adobe products. .

I'm already familiar with iMovie, and I find I'm looking now to do things which exceed its capabilities- hence the reason I was looking to upgrade to a more professional software. I can get the full CS6 for £300 on the education pricing, so for only £100 more than FC on its own I can get Premiere, After Effects and a whole host of other software, which seems to me to be the better option.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Joe

As others have said iMovie Pro / FCPX have completely redesigned the editing workflow and interface. It's (technically) possible that Apple might be right and in 10 years time every other editor will of made the leap too. However it seems far more likely that Apple's new idea about how to edit will not turn out to be a success and everyone will continue to use the AVID style interface (which is what Premiere / Ulead / Edius / FCP7 etc all use)

In the mean time the Adobe CS6 setup is simple better value for money. If you go for the cloud version you get every Adobe product and end up with a virtual garage of tools which covers just about every industry standard tool across the entire creative sector.

Buying FCP X is like learning to drive in an automatic car - ok at some point in the future maybe every car will be automatic, but until that point your stuck being unable to drive the majority of cars on the road.

Buying CS6 is like buying a whole garage, inside you'll have not only a very good manual car, but also a tractor, a motorbike, a gocart, a mountain bike and a horse and cart!

FCP was so messed up with version X there is a real expectation broadcasters will go to Adobe next time round. That is maybe why the comment about FCP. Also the limitation of having to buy Apple to run the software, how ever good it is, stops general expansion. I have Avid for my own use. I Use Quantel at work and use FCP in the field. Not looking forwards to learning yet another platform, but at least with the change I have the kit to run the software

Archived