Lighting issue

headoned

So since iv started at the college where I work there has been a fault with a large group of lights at the front of the hall. I have check all the connections and all seem fine. There is a sirius 48 channel desk running into 2 chilli pros mounted on the wall in the control booth. I have been assured that the bulbs and dimmers have been checked. So I performed a experimnet by plugging a known working fixture into the front of hall sockets but much to my dissmay they still fail to function.

My only guess now is wiring fault but thought it would be worth seeing what you guys think.

'lo,

have you checked:

DMX is being received by the dimmer? - there usually is a light on a dimmer pack that will tell you that it is

Are the dimmers and desk patched correctly? The patch may have been cleared from the desk

Are the channels hardwired or is they wired straight into the dimmer?

Can you operate that channel and light independently from the dimmer first?

I think the main problem of your system some of the settings may have been adjusted and it has not been left it a working manner.

Go through the system step by step and check to settings and configuration, you may have a venue manual which will tell you what the set up should be. If not when you get the system working write it all down in a easy to understand manner for the future.

You're going to have to explain what the problem is. Do you mean NONE of the lights in a certain area work? If they have close together channel numbers and are hard wired, then you either have a control problem or a dimmer problem.

You're driving the chilli dimmers with DMX, so if one pack is feeding working lights and the other non-working lights, why not change the addressing so the non working pack is set to the same DMX address as the working one - then when you bring up the working lights, the previously non-working ones should come up IF the dimmer pack is working properly. If the lights come up, the dimmer is ok - and the problem is the desk simply isn't sending DMX that the dimmers were set to respond to. So that means somebody may simply have messed up the patch in the desk so it's sending DMX to addresses different to the dimmer patch. If, however, after changing the DMX address to the same as the working pack, it still doesn't work, then the problem is in the dimmer, or in-between dimmer and outlets (which is unlikely). If you can't change the DMX address because that doesn't work - then the power supply to the dimmer has died. To be honest, a meter across the output sockets (assuming you do know what you are doing) will indicate volts, even when the control desk is off, on most dimmers. Only if the dimmer is truly dead or disconnected will there be zero volts.

In superuser you can set up a non-1 to 1 patch. Maybe a student changed it? worth checking.

The Chiili dimmers have a manual over-ride which you get at via the menu. If you can control the attached lights this way then the dimmer and lights work so it's a desk/patching issue. If you can't it's a dimmer/power/wiring issue.

So iv reset the dimmer packs and made sure that the desk was not repatched or anything. The dimmer pack are reciveing data when I send DMX to them from all channels of the desk.

having swaped a couple of the fixtures over this morning I have tested it and found it works fine just not when plugged in where its suppose to go.

As you can see from the image the ones that dont work have crosses throughhttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/headoned/theaterriggingplan_zpsfc3b9694.png

You're going to have to explain what the problem is. Do you mean NONE of the lights in a certain area work? If they have close together channel numbers and are hard wired, then you either have a control problem or a dimmer problem.

You're driving the chilli dimmers with DMX, so if one pack is feeding working lights and the other non-working lights, why not change the addressing so the non working pack is set to the same DMX address as the working one - then when you bring up the working lights, the previously non-working ones should come up IF the dimmer pack is working properly. If the lights come up, the dimmer is ok - and the problem is the desk simply isn't sending DMX that the dimmers were set to respond to. So that means somebody may simply have messed up the patch in the desk so it's sending DMX to addresses different to the dimmer patch. If, however, after changing the DMX address to the same as the working pack, it still doesn't work, then the problem is in the dimmer, or in-between dimmer and outlets (which is unlikely). If you can't change the DMX address because that doesn't work - then the power supply to the dimmer has died. To be honest, a meter across the output sockets (assuming you do know what you are doing) will indicate volts, even when the control desk is off, on most dimmers. Only if the dimmer is truly dead or disconnected will there be zero volts.

In superuser you can set up a non-1 to 1 patch. Maybe a student changed it? worth checking.

also id classs myself as a sound engineer that can do some lighting stuff so go easy on me ** laughs out loud ** im still learning :rolleyes:

I'm assuming that the ones that are working are the first 24? The quantities of lights that work, and the sockets without X's, add up to 23? So it would be interesting if the ok channels are coming from the first dimmer and the non-working ones are the second dimmer's output. As you've made sure the dimmers are receiving DMX, then assuming the mcbs are all on, then you need to check the actual outputs. It is feasible the DMX input has failed - so none of the outputs are on. Does the channel test make the lights come on? If it doesn't, it means every dimmer and circuit to the outlet sockets is faulty - extremely unlikely. If it does, then the problem is between the DMX input and the individual dimmers - which probably means a on-site visit or return to Zero 88. If you are competent with fault finding, and the guarantee is out - then it's probably quite fixable. If electronics isn't your thing then you have to pay to get it repaired. It does sound like it's not just a simple reset or fiddling type fault, but a real one.

Did you try the meter on the end? That at least will confirm if the dimmers are connected to the sockets. Daft question, but there isn't a hidden patch or extender panel from a previous install anywhere, is there? I saw one once where the front of house circuits originally terminated in an old lighting box at the rear, and when the dimmers for the new install were put on stage, the new multiway from the new dimmers went to the old lighting box where there was a panel with an mob connecting old to new. If there is some daft remnant of an old installation hidden somewhere, maybe there is a panel with a row of 'off' breakers?

Iv tried manualy conroling them from the dimmers directly but still nothing. I cant check the power to the sockets today as the hall is now in use so I had to put the tallescope away. im getting the feeling that this isnt just somthing iv missed so il have to get the college to get the company in that installed the system to have a look at it. its due a service anyway.

Thanks for the input.

It seems you have tried every logical thing possible. It looks to me like a neutral somewhere has come loose.. Is there no way of checking the outputs of the packs local to the pack? I am not familiar with the Chilli so no idea if they are hard wired as standard or have the good old 15A socket outlet. I suspect that is beyond the level you should be trying to mend

Archived