Digital Multicore's

dwright2104

Hi,

Wondering what would be the best multicore solution for our new pro2 mixing desk.

The end of the multi has to be robust enough to survive being pulled through tubes by rough crew.

Ideally would love to have a multi-pin on the end with 6 cat5e and 6xXLR all in one cable, but can anyone suggest anything else you would need and is this possible to get or will we have to just tape an 8way XLR loom and the cat5 cables all together?

I recently underwent this investigation myself for a company I regularly freelance for they were also in need of a digital multicore system for a Pro2C. I came across SFL's digital multicore solution but as far as I'm aware (I never did ask them) it's not for sale.

In the end, we resorted to taping up a 4 way XLR Loom (with 2 lots of Convert Con and one fixed each way) 6 Cat5 Cables and a 4mm 16a connector. 80m and 8 hours of taping later and the entire cable is surviving well, I took a tip out of PRGs book and used 50mm PVC combined with ensuring that the lay of the cable stayed constant and symmetrical around the core of 16a.

We put material bags on each end of the core and fig8 it into a 1000x500x550mm case.

Josh

There are several multicore CAT5 cables available nowadays, so you could just loom a 8-way audio and an 8-way CAT5 together. I'm sure some of the more expensive multipin connector types can also have IP compaitable pins added too if you wanted a single big connector on the end of a CAT5 multi (Neutrik, please can we have a NE32 connector :))

There are several multicore CAT5 cables available nowadays, so you could just loom a 8-way audio and an 8-way CAT5 together. I'm sure some of the more expensive multipin connector types can also have IP compaitable pins added too if you wanted a single big connector on the end of a CAT5 multi (Neutrik, please can we have a NE32 connector :))

Harting make a modular system which allow cat5/6s (amongst others) to be mounted within one of the multipin style housings. Called the Han modular system IIRC. you can mix and match the inserts to suit your application......

The SFL solution is here: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=40832

It is 16A, 8x XLR, 4X Cat5 so may not meet all your requirements. I have seen it with another company so either SFL or the manufacturer will be selling it on (if they have any left). The cable's just an inch thick and the vdm style multipins that SFL use with it about 2" in diameter.

From the T&C

In the non-commercial forums, members may direct users to their company, or post

regarding their products in certain situations, these include:

- Technical support, when another user has posted a question about their product

- Assistance with locating a specific product, when a user has specifically

requested information on that product

- Rebutting or commenting on criticisms/compliments on your companies products or

services, as long as your views are backed up with suitable points (you should

not just post 'our products are great so there')

- Post information about updates to your product to the 'software release forum'

following the appropriate guidelines

- Make appropriate use of the other 'commercial' areas of the site.

- Use the 'Training and Qualifications' forum to post information on free training

events for your products or services

So..... what have you got?

Wow... Looks like I've been beaten too it. Thanks for the support guys.

So as people have commented we have worked on a stage multicore system.

It's based around.. 2.5mm power, 4 lines utp cat5, 8 lines digital audio.

We've worked with Link to make a multipln connector.

There a now a number of companies starting to use and adopt this system.

If you want more info drop me a line, or maybe come to our "digifest" event and see it in action

Digifest info here

Your emails set to private in your profile, and cant find your email on your website

Will have to try when on a proper computer

I tried a number of times to get a price from sfl, but no luck! So am loking at seperate cat 5 multi and aes multi with a multipin on each

Hey Ian.. so sorry to hear that.

Drop me an email and I'll get you a price straight over..

M

Archived