LED Torches.

Brian

I'm looking for an LED-based replacement for my original Mini Maglite 2-cell AA.

I have three 'must' requirements...

1) Must use AA or AAA cells as they are easy to get when you run out. It would be nice if it would run on both 1.5v Alkaline or 1.2v NiMH.

2) Must be the same size as a Mini Maglite as anything smaller is too small to hold sensibly. This probably means it's going to use 2 x AA or 3 x AAA cells.

3) Must be reliable. I'd rather pay £40 and not have to worry about it packing up on me than save money by buying a £3-99 supermarket special.

I'm particularly interested in what people actually own and use.

Here in Australia the brand to own is Led Lenser.

Homepage

I have two of them, "Hokus Focus" and the "P14"

Hokus Focus: 3x AAA batteries, twist focussing sustem (Really even flat wash - tight 5-6 degree beam)

P14: 4xAA Batteries, Push Pull focus, much higher output than HF.

The other popular ones are:

T7: similar to HF but push-pull focus, same size etc.

P2: similar to Leatherman Monarch, 1x AA.

Belt pouches and wrist loops are standard with all.

I nothing beats the flat even beam of these torches, they are fantastic for doing field repairs backstage, amp patching, first aid, everything.

Batteries last well.

Seems every theatre, touring show and production company I work with/for/in has crew owning these beasts.

Well worth the price, just buy it from a dealer, these are so popular that they get ripped off in china a lot, there is a huge difference.

I'm looking for an LED-based replacement for my original Mini Maglite 2-cell AA.

I have three 'must' requirements...

1) Must use AA or AAA cells as they are easy to get when you run out. It would be nice if it would run on both 1.5v Alkaline or 1.2v NiMH.

2) Must be the same size as a Mini Maglite as anything smaller is too small to hold sensibly. This probably means it's going to use 2 x AA or 3 x AAA cells.

3) Must be reliable. I'd rather pay £40 and not have to worry about it packing up on me than save money by buying a £3-99 supermarket special.

I use my Blue-Room, 2 AA cell, LED converted Maglite of course. Unfortunately, not available at the moment :rolleyes:

I bought the Lenser P7. It's too bright in some instances, but a great torch. It's a little chubbier than a Mini Maglite and runs off 4 AAAs. There are other versions which are not as brutal.

I also bought the TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme LED torch bulb upgrade from Amazon for about £15. It's not as bright as the Lenser, but it's probably better than the Mini Maglite LED!

I felt this was a worthwhile upgrade, as I simply wasn't using the tungsten version any more.

I'm also debating whether to buy a 1000 lumen LED for my 4 x D cell Maglite, but suspect its only real use is to compete with car headlamps

We got a bunch of http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~51867~3-Piece-9-LED-Torch-Set.html they are a bit smaller than maglite and are I guess fist size so don't match the length criteria.

However I have been using mine for a year or so with no issues, and I know the set at work has been used and have had no problems. They take 3 AAA in those "cartridges" which make it easy enough to replace.

I'm really impressed by my set of 3 Rolson LED torches. They're just over an inch in diameter but only 3-4 inches long. This makes them nice and stubby to hold on to. The build quality is pretty good (knurled aluminium by the looks of it) and they have a nice big power button on the end. The best bit is that when I bought these, they were something like £4 for 3.

Ooh, found them! I might even get some more myself! I've got them secreted in various tool kits, flightcases and in the cars too. Reliability-wise I've never had an issue with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-61760-Torch-Batteries/dp/B002Y5XNBM/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Heck, they even come with batteries!

Here in Australia the brand to own is Led Lenser.

Thanks.

...or you could try Fenix tourches. they are bloody great

I've never seen the larger Fenix torches in the flesh but I do have an E01 on my key ring. I guess if the larger ones are as well made/as bright then I'll have no problems.

...combined with a Petzl Tikka and I generally don't need another light sources....

Yep, I've already got a Tikka XP2 which lives on the helmet. Actually, I've now got two as I just bought a replacement after my first one suffered a major battery leak (all 3 cells), thank you EverReady for reminding me why I only ever normally buy Duracell. Luckily, armed with an ultrasonic cleaner and baking soda the first one has been rescued.

Archived