Harp Miking

arobinsonaudio

If it's more of an ambient recording style, then a good quality condensor mic a few feet away should work nicely.

Obviously not much good for live reinforcement, but close mic'ing a harp is sufficiently awkward and lower quality than giving it a bit of space that unless you need the gain before feedback it's not worth it.

Once got asked to mic up a harp about 5mins before the KO. Used an el cheapo rm placed about 18" away from the sound box and about the same above the floor and slightly to one side. Contrary to all expectations the sound was quite good...even the none too special electret capsule coped with the sound without issue. Modesty insists this was a fluke but it might give you somewhere to start???

Or, you could do it properly:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic-University/Application-Guide/Harp.aspx

Have miced up a small harp (possibly a clarsach) in the past with a clip-on mic in the hole in the sound board with pretty good results. Used a Beta98H/C for that one. Not sure how well this would work for a full sized beast. I would ideally try to use 2 x large diaphragm condensors for this - one for the top and one for the bottom sets od strings.

Steve

Have you asked the harpist? They've probably been here before.

I've worked with several pro clarsach players in the past - all had pickups fitted to their instruments, but all also wanted a separate small condenser out front. We sent a mix of both sources to the main PA, but I think we sent only the pickup to monitors.

Have miced up a small harp (possibly a clarsach) in the past with a clip-on mic in the hole in the sound board with pretty good results. Used a Beta98H/C for that one. Not sure how well this would work for a full sized beast.

Had this on a full sized harp recently on a production of South Pacific, for both reinforcement and recording purposes and it seemed to work pretty well. Normally our harps are mic'ed for reinforcement only (mostly stage foldback but sometimes FOH) with a single mic close to the soundboard at the lower end of the instrument. I don't know what mic it is - but I'll have a look when I'm at work tomorrow and if I remember, will take a pic of mic placement.

I am having to engineer a show in a cathedral in a couple of months. I have been informed there will be a harpist there can anyone suggest the best way to mic and what to use to mic these for a little ambience but mostly for the video feed?

Thanks in advance

I used to use a PZM taped to the inside of the chamber, with the back of the PZM across the sound hole. It is kind of a PITA to mount. While doing this to a harp about 10 years ago the harpist asked why I didn't just put it on the floor under the instrument. I had not known they are open on the bottom. I have used a PZM on the floor under the instrument ever since. Either mounting method provides a lot of isolation.

Mac

I can't see what the mic is - a small Sennheiser is all I can see without shifting it, which I don't want to do because the sound guys have already set for the evening! I did take a pic though:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/kiwitechgirl/922B18F8-2CC8-40E1-93BA-5EACD7EAA34E-6659-000004E69722889F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use a DPA 4060 or a Sennheiser MKE 2 in the hole at the back pointed up, with a bit of velcro to hold it onto the bar (which most harps seem to have). Works a treat.

I think that senn mic looks like the new MKH series, which are very nice also. Kinda aimed at the km184 end of things

Archived