Rack Mount DVD Players

WolvesAndi

BTW Who would use a £20 DVD on a public show?

Well I spent a bit more - £79.99 on a on a Toshiba SD330E, but it did the job better than the DVD drive in the £1200 laptop we bought specifically for the project - this just wouldn't read the DVD discs authored on a MAC somewhere by our designer. The Tosh read everything perfectly well no matter where it came from.

(we did spend a bit more on the projector - a nice Barco G5 to point at the screen)

At that price, you could afford to buy two.

It's the old "resilence vs robustness" argument - do you buy a product that is extremely unlikely to fail, but when it does fail, you're stuffed, or do you buy something that you accept may fail more often, but you've got a spare one in the cupboard.

There are no right and wrong answers - it's different in each situation.

Bruce.

well like every thread on this forum you get what you pay for!!! £20 dvd players play dvd's (fulfils product criteria) but in general there colour processing is awful, the colour depth is non existent and clarity of image is visibly bad when compared with a superior unit (superior but not a lot more cash)

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000244ZS2.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

amazon are doing these sonys which look so much better than the £20 tesco specials.

back to the point, pioneer and philips both do industrial DVD units but be warned the pioneers list at around £850 + VAT (kinda makes the rack mount kit and some big cable ties look attractive)

I've been looking at getting one of these;

http://www.d-mpro.eu.com/users/folder.asp?...16&SubCatID=160

Very nice, very expensive... the advantage of these 'professional' DVD players (and there had better be some advantages as they cost so d**n much) are that you can get rid of the manufacturer's screen that usually comes up when you push stop, they'll usually let you skip the Copyright warning, you can program them to play a specific track at startup etc. The really expensive ones have a serial port or MIDI so you can hook them up to your show control (which is what we bought it for.)

We also use them for running into a vision mixer. You just cue up DVD, or write the DVD so it is cued anyway (fancy final cut effects!) then fade it in and yiu fade audio at same time - keep noise boys happy and boss happy as its onlya £20 DVD player so instead of running video feeds to all the plasmas around a conference showing same looped DVD, he puts a £20 DVD behind each one. Much less cabling. Ok there are otehr issues, but less can go wrong, sicne all DVDs authored at same time from same version.

• 1 month later...

It amazes me that there are so many posts for a dvd player in a rack tray and how it can be done!

Even professional dvd players such as the Mirantz ones fall out of their rack holdings they are meant to sit in! And you pay an arm and a leg for them, and they still have an on screen display when you hit the play button!

Rack tray is looking good to me!

P.S. Done the whole looped presentation on individual £20 DVD players behind plasmas - works a treat and dead easy! Company I was working for even had the plasmas vertical and built the presentation vertical in AfterEffects - not so easy!

Archived