Rack Mount DVD Players

WolvesAndi

Rack shelf + DVD player of your choice = rackmount DVD player. Works for us :)

David

But unless you are prepared / skilled enough to screw the player onto the shelf, it will not be secure, which is what the OP is after. I've done it often, but think VERY carefully about where you are putting the screws!

But unless you are prepared / skilled enough to screw the player onto the shelf, it will not be secure, which is what the OP is after. I've done it often, but think VERY carefully about where you are putting the screws!

I agree with this but I had something like this in mind canford ,CPC do the same thing but slightly cheaper.

hi,

I have used a rackmount shelf from CPC.. the sort that you screw a bar to the shelf that holds the player on the shelf type of thing.. only problem I had was that I ordered a 2u shelf as the DVD player looked 2u.. but you actualy need the 3u rack as its slightly bigger.. and you have to have access to the side panels so screw the retaining bar into..

but works ok when you have the right size!

rgds

chris

But unless you are prepared / skilled enough to screw the player onto the shelf, it will not be secure, which is what the OP is after.  I've done it often, but think VERY carefully about where you are putting the screws!

I agree with this but I had something like this in mind canford ,CPC do the same thing but slightly cheaper.

Many of these shelves have a flat plate across the base, and it is quite easy to slide the equipment out, hence needing to screw the kit to the shelf.

I'd worry about the rack mount being stolen - it costs more than the DVD player it's protecting! Just bought 3 for a project from my local Tesco store - £19.99 each!

Studiospares 2U rack mount tray £27.50

Canford (bless 'em) £34.92 for the cheapest version

I'd worry about the rack mount being stolen - it costs more than the DVD player it's protecting! Just bought 3 for a project from my local Tesco store - £19.99 each!

Studiospares 2U rack mount tray £27.50

Canford (bless 'em) £34.92 for the cheapest version

Use tamperproof screws such as these from RS. Get them really tight, and they would be difficult to shift without the right tool.

It isn't very tricky to take the feet off, drill four holes in the shelf and then screw through the self into the feetholes.  You can even put the feet back on, if you like.

Even then, be careful. A school tech got fried a few years ago doing something very similar on a TV. The screws weren't quite long enough, he went for the next size in his toolbox, and one hit the mains incomer

Surely though the rack would be lockable if it was in a club and hence you would not need to attach hte DVD player to the shelf ??

If you have a £20 DVD player really who wants to steal it ??

Just Engrave your postcode on to the side of it and you are laughing !!

Surely though the rack would be lockable if it was in a club and hence you would not need to attach hte DVD player to the shelf ??

If you have a £20 DVD player really who wants to steal it ??

Just Engrave your postcode on to the side of it and you are laughing !!

I doubt the value of the kit is significant. The real PITA would be turning up to do your event just as the shops shut, to find that the DVD was missing. My problem with securing kit is less to do with theft, but more "redeployment". Postcoding MAY help with theft, but if someone wants the kit in the next room for a lesson, then marking has no effect. The borrower NEVER returns stuff, no matter what they promise!

BTW Who would use a £20 DVD on a public show?

AFAIK Bristol Hippodrome play their Pearl and Dean adverts from a £20 DVD Player... the profit made from playing those adverts is enough to employ the venue staff. Not quite the same as a club night, but my guess is they're pretty reliant on the DVD player all the same.

Archived