Strobe for lightning on small stage

Paul C

We're doing a show in our village hall and I need to simulate lightning. Happy to play with strobe but question is what power will I need for reasonable effect. Stage is 5m wide and 4m deep with about 2.8m to white suspended ceiling.

There is a beam across front of stage deep enough to hide the unit. Loads of strobes on EBay with power from 30w to 1500w - will try for one with simple remote. As I said anyone give me a guide to power?

Cheers

30w will give you a desired very light flicker effect, in a complete blackout.

If you want real impact like real lightning, I would suggest 750-1500w.

I would suggest that you buy, or even just hire a DMX controllable 1500w Strobe, and then you can link it to the console. You can "dim" the output Via the DMX. These 1500w strobes are cheap as chips, at usually $75ea.

Then its a matter of getting the timing right to simulate lightning.

To make good looking lightning, it has to move, not just flash. So a few light sources better than one.

How much power you need depends on the level of ambient illumination.

As an alternative to strobes, tri-LED cans are good, and three channels of photo flood lamps can also make a good looking effect.

Good call senor Buckley sir, it is also an idea to play around with facing the strobe away from the actors or at a mirror/white sheet off-stage and making it rather indirect. Across the back of the stage behind scenery also works better than pointing it at the stage, (opinion).

It depends a lot on audience sight lines as well so take a wander round the auditorium before you fix on any one solution. What looks great from an op position can look contrived from the stalls. Been there, done that, T-shirt worn to shreds.

Thanks for swift responses

We don't have 'off stage' and probably very little scenery - this is real low budget stuff.

Controller is now Zero88 sirius into analogue anytronics dimmers with 12 channels, up to now just Pulsar two preset desk so stepping up!!

No LEDs just Patt23 and T84s from FOH with domestic halogen floods on stage!

Photofloods go nicely in biccie tins. Or, office trash bins, painted white on the inside. Very low budget.

The lamps are harder to find than they once were, and may even be discontinued, but the magic term is Philips Photolita.

E2A: straight strobes don't do a very good lighting. Martin Atomics (and Chinese clones thereof) have "blinder" modes which can provide very good building blocks for creating good looking lighting, but you need a DMX desk to drive the things, and without decent sequences and memories it probably will be very hard work to get something that looks the part. A couple of Atomic clones are going to cost a lot more than a few photoflood lamps.

Thanks guys

Photo floods sounds good and cheap. Beam is only about 300mm deep off ceiling so no real height to play with.

I'll discuss with Director as she may have other plans for strobe use elsewhere but of course that raises more issues re signage etc that have been well covered before!!

• 1 year later...
I've just lit a review and used a strobe for lightning effect. I simply used the desk manually to generate random flashes to what seemed good effect. My question is about the health and safety aspect of this. We had a comment from an audience member that there should have been a warning that strobe lighting was to be used. It is my opinion that, as the flashing was random and not regular, and was for a very short duration, this was unnecessary. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

The vast majority of people with PSE are most affected when the flashing is regular. However, as frequently seen/heard on TV, nowadays it's considered common courtesy to warn people beforehand.

I dont think that incandesant lamps of any description will ever look like lightning !

1 -they are the wrong color temp for start.

2 - they simply don't respond quickly enough.

You need high color temp for lightning probably 6000 or more, incandesants are only 3000 to 4000.

Leds would be a better option as they can respond quickly,

And they are cheap.

Even better a strobe light,

Go for the biggest you can get 1500w would be good.

If you shop around you can get them really cheap.

Photo floods certainly don't react as quickly as a xenon discharge, but they're an economical alternative as they do react pretty fast.

That said, a decent strobe configured to fire appropriately can look very good. The atomic has a built in lightning simulator, which is ok, and hiring an atomic (or two) might be a better alternative to buying something that might not get used that often. Just make sure you've got adequate hot power - they don't play well on a 13A outlet at full chat, for example :-)

The trick that makes lightning look great is movement. So a few sources better than one source. If you already have LEDs in the rig, they will do nicely. As will (as previously noted) several photofloods. Or atomics.

Paul's warning on atomics is on the money; unless you've got a heavy supply to them, half power switch on to keep the fuses intact :). And the are still bright, impolite things, even on half power!

I dont think that incandesant lamps of any description will ever look like lightning !

1 -they are the wrong color temp for start.

2 - they simply don't respond quickly enough.

You have obviously never seen a photoflood lamp in action. 2 or 3 in different places flashed randomly look very much like lightning, much more than a strobe does. A real lightning flash actually lasts much longer than a strobe flash. And LEDs just aren't bright enough unless you spend lots of money.

Archived