too hot to paint?

tomtomly

Hey all,

just wondering if anyone out there would know hot a standard domestic brass picture light gets (the bit that covers the bulb)?

I want to spray paint it but don't want it smoking or cracking!!!!

I`m a theatre practitioner, not a lighting technician so go easy! Oh and sorryif I`m cluttering up this forum.

Many thanks. Tom

Welcome to the Blue Room.

Without looking at the paint options available I couldn't say for sure, BUT I would hazard that many automotive paints will be fine to withstand a fair temperature. Think how hot a dark coloured car bonnet can get in the midst of (an English) summer.

I'd suggest you check the can for any clues - it may well have some temperature info on there.

And if you're not planning to burn the lamp for a long time (ie is it on all through the play?) then again that gives you some leeway.

If it's black or silver then halfords have a range of paint designed for exhaust pipes and crankcases that work well, and the heat helps bake the paint on. Great for old rusty lights, and not too difficult to apply.

The "sperex VHT" brand comes in a variety of colours (or used to, maybe only black these days) and is supposed to be good for exhaust header pipes. Claimed to be good for over 600 celcius. Might do the trick.

As above, and also if you dont need to dim the lamp, low energy retrofit lamps are available.

The fitting will hardly get warm with these and any paint can be used.

Remember that many paints are highly flammable when still wet, allow the paint to dry properly before lighting the lamp.

Not sure how hot a regular incandescent gets but for what it's worth, a 50w MR16 12v halogen hits approximately 300 degC on the lamp, I can't see an incandescent getting quite that hot so anything good for 300 degC should be fine. Second the BBQ or automotive paint suggestion.

Hope this helps

David

If it's black or silver then halfords have a range of paint designed for exhaust pipes and crankcases that work well, and the heat helps bake the paint on. Great for old rusty lights, and not too difficult to apply.

Have used black exhaust spray paint to respray PAR64's, worked well. Max temp was 600 degrees.

Used Lighting recommend Plasti-Kote:

http://www.usedlighting.co.uk/spare-parts/generic-fixtures/plasti-kote-black-spray-paint

Compressor and spray gun, or rattle can?

If the former, I've just done the engine casing on one of my bikes with Halfords high temp satin enamel paint thinned ever so slightly with a bit of white spirit. (No need for V. High Temp paint on my water-cooled engine, or your light.) After it's touch-dry, it'll dry full much better if you get it nice and hot. (My engine casing was off the bike, so I've just been bunging it in the oven at gas mark 5 between coats.) My first time with a 'proper' spray gun, so the learing curve was steep but it turned out quite well in the end.

If the latter, I'd suggest you check out PJ1 Fast Black. (Also primarily intended for painting bike engines, and available from any decent motorcycle shop.) Available in various finishes, but on the subject of colour they're also with Henry Ford. ;)

Archived