Calling all boffins

Guest lightnix

Guest lightnix

I am currently getting a small project together, which requires a pair of ultra bright, white LEDs to be switched on and off via a single, momentary action "tactile switch", of the kind used in mobile 'phone keyboards.

Unfortunately they don't seem to come in latching on/off versions, so an electronic solution is required, involving some kind of "simple" (transistor ?) latching circuit that doesn't involve big, chunky relays. Does anybody know of one that I could build ? I can probably work out the construction from a circuit diagram without too much difficulty.

All offers of help will be gratefully received and the provider of the best solution wins a pint (or two !) at the Blue Room Get Together in June or at PLASA (date tbc).

Thanks in advance.

Hi the thing I can think of is a JK Flip-Flop. If you hold the J and K inputs high by tying them to the +ve supply and connect the switch to the clock input then the out put will toggle(remember that they have to outputs one is the inverse of the other). the output amps will not be much 0.4 mA for TTL chips and 4 mA for CMOS chips (these values are what I remember of the top of my head, so don't quote me) so use an op-amp to get the output to the right volts and amps.

Hope this helps :D

You could use a JK type to make a D type flip flop

Why - a JK bistable is exactly the right answer for this, and a D type latch isn't (sorry). As Ketil says, then attach the Q output to a non-inverting op-amp circuit with the two resistors chosen to give an appropriate DC gain, and you're flying. Clock input for a JK can be something as simple as a doorbell type switch (or what you suggest).

Details in any decent book on digital circuits.

Peter

something complecated like this?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/themadhippy/dtype.jpg

I do belive its a d type flip flop,used a simlar circuit for a basic call lights system,also can be used as a dived by 2 thingy.

or would something simple like a self holding relay do the job ?

except that with the above circuit you'll never guarantee whether the LED will end up on or off. You'll need to debounce the switch otherwise you will get an indeterminate number of clock pulses.

can I be picky again?

It's not considered good practice to run LEDs from the output of a logic gate to ground, better to go to +ve. Your circuit will still work if you 'flip' the LEDs but the outputs of the logic will thank you.

Brian

who hasn't had a drink (yet).

Umm can I just chek on wether ur switch is push to make or wether it is spdt or spst. Also I belive Brian if you read it you will find that he just sugeste the use of a transistor and with a relay can hardley be called chunkey.

Matthew

The switch is a momentary action normally open jobbie (jobby ?). To prove my idea worked I've actually built one. It's a transistor version of a chip version I use all over the place. The chip version needs just two inverters.

and I think the original request was...

>Unfortunately they don't seem to come in latching on/off versions, so an electronic solution is required, >involving some kind of "simple" (transistor ?) latching circuit that doesn't involve big, chunky relays.

Brian

who really must get a signature set up.

Most any spare inverters you've got lying around, it works best with CMOS. Try a HEF4069, six inverters in a package = 3 push-button circuits. It looks like this...

Chip-Flop

Output(s) can be taken from either/both gates.

Brian

Archived