Fake rock and grass mound

jackthebuilder

Apologies if this should be under props! Wasn't sure...

I need to build a 'rock' and 'grass' mound, incorporating some 'rocky steps' on part of it that the actor will use. Presumably a lightweight timber frame, with good support under the 'steps', covered with materials to make it look as realistic as possible.

Probably around 3 metres wide, 1 metre deep, and 750 mm high at the highest point. But dimensions are not critical.

I'd really appreciate some hints, tips, and advice on materials to use from anyone that may done something similar.

Thanks in advance. Jack.

How about this? Timber, polystyrene, fabric, a small bit of fibreglass on hard use areas - stairs, and the top. The sides used an open based fabric that looked like sack type hessian, over painted with a plaster slurry. Polystyrene sheeting in layers under it to make it look 'rocky' Constructed as four sides, hinge pins putting it together on a standard plywood based truck. Old, repaired frequently, but functional.

http://www.limelight.org.uk/rock.jpg

As Mr Boomall's method adding that it's good to paint footprints on the load bearing bits so that the talent knows where to stand/sit

Depending on the colour palette you may wish to paint canvas a grassy shade or apply grocer's display grass or astroturf.

One of my handyman mates carved rock-like features out of solid blocks of expanded polystyrene with a chainsaw once. Not to be recommended to any but the safest, trained practitioner but astoundingly realistic once painted up.

Old lorry tarps can make a good covering material and fibreglass finishes work well on that. Though the best tip so far is to build the treads solidly before you start and work from there. The security and stability issues are more important than looks.

WNO used to have loads of rocks in storage and so, I presume, would many other bigger companies and prop companies.

Damn SPAG

• 4 months later...

For future reference if it helps, and incorporating many of the suggestions, I built three solid frames, each about 900 x 900 mm and 250, 500 and 750 mm high, each incorporating two treads, thus giving six steps over the entire length. These bolted together to form a slightly 'zig-zag' shape, covered with astroturf and inserting at various points underneath the astroturf a selection of offcuts and scrap material to make it look uneven, and well, rocky hillside-ish.

Each of the frames had a horizontal timber underneath with two casters, making six in total - two fixed at the onstage end, and four swivel. A couple of chunky brakes at the offstage end completed the job.

Archived