Dutch Festival Tent

Simon Lewis

I found people watching the most interesting bit. People may have been trapped under that when it went down - notice how many people, once the collapse happened ran towards it presumably to help, other perfectly able looking people ran the opposite way!

Would you, if present, run to help or keep well away and stay safe?

There are other, better quality, videos showing them preparing for the incoming storm. They put T-bar stands of par cans out in the rain and hail and turned them on. Of course they fell over and then when the tent collapsed loads of people went inside to rescue band kit. Doh!

They failed miserably to evacuate, and in the video Simon linked to I was amazed to see the numbers around the BigTop while many more took shelter from a collapsing tent INSIDE A TENT! LINK.

Darwin's Law is all well and good but 15 of the organisers did not end up in hospital, 15 innocent punters did.

I found people watching the most interesting bit. People may have been trapped under that when it went down - notice how many people, once the collapse happened ran towards it presumably to help, other perfectly able looking people ran the opposite way!

Are these accidents not the perfect examples of Sociopathy ?

The "normal" people will say "###### I have to go help" and the sociopaths say "well that's different I will make a judgement to stay here however I will make phone calls etc"

However there is also the crowd theory ( Diffusion of responsibility that someone else will do it, which is a real theory, you have a big crowd and they will all assume that someone else will do x task, however in a small group or single people they will do x task no matter what.

If you even have the choice then the management of the event should be shot.

Responses to catastrophes are part of the planning for an event and the response of every single person mapped out beforehand. Artiste, management, crew, punter, everyone should either be aware of what to do or told immediately. They should not need, or even have the ability, to make the decision to be or not to be a hero.

I suprised myself a few years ago when I found out that my reflex action when faced with sudden danger had changed to: Protect my children.

Everybody has a fight or flight reaction, you cannot say what your reaction will be in any single situation until that situation arises, our emergency services (police, ambulance, firemen and armed forces) are trained to go and help those injured or in trouble, their responses have been altered through that training. Members of the public have not been trained to have that reaction so it's not surprising that some people ran away, can any of us here on the Blue Room honestly say that they would not do the same?

Responses to catastrophes are part of the planning for an event and the response of every single person mapped out beforehand. Artiste, management, crew, punter, everyone should either be aware of what to do or told immediately. They should not need, or even have the ability, to make the decision to be or not to be a hero.

I understand your point, but to expect anyone to have included this in their planning is a bit much IMHO. Up until the recent spate I'd never heard of a tent or stage collapse, let alone seen footage of one, and I've certainly never seen weather like that. That's from a career of 30 years, and maybe I've just been very lucky. Of course, given the recent frequency, maybe that does start to be needed to be included, but to shoot someone for not doing so might be a bit OTT?

I understand your point, but to expect anyone to have included this in their planning is a bit much IMHO. Up until the recent spate I'd never heard of a tent or stage collapse, let alone seen footage of one, and I've certainly never seen weather like that. That's from a career of 30 years, and maybe I've just been very lucky. Of course, given the recent frequency, maybe that does start to be needed to be included, but to shoot someone for not doing so might be a bit OTT?

Totally disagree. Sorry but structure collapse should be a major part of any risk assessment for an event that involves structures. If it's part of your risk assessment then you should have a plan for if it happens!

However, I also don't think what Kerry said is true. In any kind of catastophe like this I do not think it is possible to immediately and totally control the situation to a point where the public would not be involved in the rescue / immediate aftermath.

Chris

All of our tents have structural engineer defined limits for wind/rain/snow which are made a part of the contract (if we hit these limits, we stop the show and evacuate) whilst there's also always an ongoing risk-assesment process with regards to anything built/assembled inside and the effects it will have on evacuation or dropping the tent. Although we're a bit more strict than other tent companies I don't think we're too dramatically different to the other major tent providers in the UK and certainly every festival I've been involved in has treated our paperwork and procedures as entirely normal.

Archived