Using Cat5/6 cable for audio

DJ bradderz

Hi all,

I know this has probably been discussed before, but searching doesnt bring anything up.

Can you use Cat5 or Cat6 cable for audio? im thinking of using it as a small multicore for an install at church.

Is there any advantage for using Cat6 in this way over Cat5?

Thanks

Brad

are you planning on using Cat5 as a multicore cable with XLR's (or similar) on the end, or do you mean can you put audio over ethernet cable with RJ45 (computer network style) connectors on the end with or without running over a network? the answer is yes to both, but they have very different approaches

well these connectors seemed fairly cheap compared with other mutipins (such as ethercon) so I was just gonna do a small test with a short multicore to start with, then if it works well, make a longer multicore for use at events such as at church

How would Cat 5 etc cope with Phantom power?

I'd guess it'd be Ok if you used one of the other cores as a ground. But I'd be wary about using unscreened cat5 for mic level signals. I've regularly sent line level audio over hundreds of metres of cat5 and similar cables, but wouldn't dream of doing that at mic level.

How would Cat 5 etc cope with Phantom power?

Fine if you use FTP (shielded). Otherwise, there's no ground path, so phantom can't work. You can also sacrifice a pair to use for a ground connection to use phantom.

Archived