Steel Toe Capped Shoes

peternewman

Hi,

I'm looking for some Steel toe capped shoes however my feet are quite large so I need about size 12 or 13's. I've read the advice in this topic and I'm quite tempted to go for some trainers. I'm probably getting them from Arco as they're nice and close to me. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice/recommendations/opinions on what to get and what to avoid.

Thanks in Advance

PN

...what to avoid.

Cheap ones. They hurt.

Arco are where I buy mine. Arco own brand seemed alright but not terribly well fitting and the leather cracked over the steel caps quite quickly. They also sell Cat boots, but there you pay for the brand name. Try them on and fit them like any other wear of shoes... otherwise you'll get very sore feet after a few hours of wear!

Guest lightnix

The Grafters boots I got last year were both cheap and comfy, but I fear they will not outlast the pair of Cat boots I bought nearly six years ago and which are still going pretty strong (I reckon they've easily got another couple of years in them).

I would disagree that with Cat you are just paying for a brand name, they are good quality boots and will repay you in the end by lasting a lot longer.

Cheap is nearly always more expensive in the long term.

I'm with Bryson - the DeWalt safety trainers are pretty comfortable. I can quite happily wear mine all day and not suffer any detrimental effects.

Cat boots - yes, they're durable and good-quality, but the one pair that I've owned weren't particularly comfortable. That's very much a personal opinion, though.

Also worth considering - Dickies boots (I think they also do trainers) - perhaps not as durable as Cats, but more comfortable IMO.

The best pair of steelies I've ever owned, bar none, were a pair of Doc Marten boots in the dark brown matt-type-finish leather with padded ankles. Fantastic, really comfortable, and pretty durable too.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

I got a pair of Trojan Black Antistatic Safety Low Cut Hiker's in the end, £39.89. They are trainer style and feel comfortable, have to wait until next week to see how they cope during a show.

Thanks again

PN

On the CAT boots subject when I last worked on a building site (summer job as a dog -it pays reasonably as student work goes) I was told that CAT boots used to be good, but have recently gone down hill. My own steels (a remanent of that time) are very comfortable indeed though not very atheistic and set me back all of £16. They've still got a while left in them to I reckon and I got them nearly 3 years ago now, though it has to be said I don't rig all day every day.

It's a result of the "fashionisation" (if there is such a word) of previously practical brands. Not steel toecaps, but another example is Timberland, who used to make really good walking trainers that I was very loyal to, until recently when they've become a fashion brand and now make complete trash!

I wear Cat steelies, and I have size 13/14 feet so it can be a nightmare getting them. I got some from Bond Safety in Ireland. Every pair of cat boots I've had have lasted a good 5/6 years use. Not all that comfortable, but very rugged compared to other boots. I think the trainer type look most comfortable from what I've seen.

Paul

I have now used the boots for a couple of shows and I am very pleased with them. I had them on all day with no problems at all, they also seem more comfortable than my normal hiking boots. I would definitely recommend them to people.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

PN

Archived