Laser Measures

d.breeze

Hello all.

I'm currently on the look out for a laser measure, mainly for checking trim heights of flown PA, but it will probably get used for measuring rooms and a host of other activities.

I'm currently eyeing up these 2:

http://ukrigging.net/ppe/index.php?route=product/product&path=83&product_id=167

http://ukrigging.net/ppe/index.php?route=product/product&path=83&product_id=161

Does anyone have any personal experience of either model? Or indeed any other models out there that you might want to recommend?

Thanks, Damian

I have owned and used several laser measures, and this would be my take on it:

The Leicas are the industry standard, but also come with industry standard pricing to match. The D5 and D8 are awesome, and I highly recommend them.

The only Bosch I would consider is the GLM80, because it has a proper 360 degree angle measure. This is very useful for indirect distance measurements.

I have always been frustrated by the D2. It vastly underperforms the older and cheaper A2. I have had many situations where I just cant get a reliable reading, particularly with darker surfaces or over distances greater than 50m. I suspect its a compromise in the laser system in order to make it so tiny.

However, the new X310 looks like a great buy, and also includes the 360 degree angle finder.

Go for a more expensive model. The Leicas will last forever and more than pay for themselves. Think of it as an investment...

However, nothing beats a fibre tape and a piece of gaffa for checking the trim height of PA clusters. No matter how big the job I do, I would still rather this method than relying on a disto. Partly because its easier and doesn't require you to be sitting under a moving load (doesn't matter if you have a hard hat folks, if that 500kg PA cluster drops, your dead. Period.), but also because you can put a tape on all the speakers, or on 3 points along a truss and balance everything up quickly.

You'll also find that unless you buy a pricey Leica or equivalent, you'll have to put a piece of white tape on the bottom of the speakers because your laser will just not be able to get an accurate measurement off of that lovely black surface at any larger distances. (or outdoors, or a bright room, or when the surface isn't parallel to the floor, etc...).

I've got a DLE40 and it works fine. I also paid a lot less than the price you linked to.

+1 I think I only paid about £85, but certainly it wasn't near the £100 mark.

It's also never let me down, works just fine for everything I use it for. (more walls and distance rather than truss and height though)

The majority, if not all of these units use measurement devices from the same source, but "ration" features by cost. For instance, range and continuous versus single shot measurement. The reduced range issue also increases dark surface issues.

Just like laser plumbs, these devices will save you so much time at work that they pay for themselves in convenience very quickly. By all means shop around, but don't go for a super-budget model.

However, nothing beats a fibre tape and a piece of gaffa for checking the trim height of PA clusters. No matter how big the job I do, I would still rather this method than relying on a disto. Partly because its easier and doesn't require you to be sitting under a moving load (doesn't matter if you have a hard hat folks, if that 500kg PA cluster drops, your dead. Period.), but also because you can put a tape on all the speakers, or on 3 points along a truss and balance everything up quickly.

You'll also find that unless you buy a pricey Leica or equivalent, you'll have to put a piece of white tape on the bottom of the speakers because your laser will just not be able to get an accurate measurement off of that lovely black surface at any larger distances. (or outdoors, or a bright room, or when the surface isn't parallel to the floor, etc...).

+1. The main thing that I have realised since shelling out quite a lot on a Leica is how much I like my tape measures! I have a couple of Stanley Powerdrive tape measures which are pretty ballsy as tapes go and stand up to a lot of abuse.

I have a Leica DXT, which I think is rather good. Not sure how it differs to the one Seano mentioned, as the DXT is also IP65 rated. It's very good actually, but I think new they're about £220. Our local electricians shop does Stanley Fatmax ones for about £90 and apparently all the sparkies say they're fine.

Has anyone had any experience of the Fluke 411D measure?

http://www.amazon.ca/Fluke-411D-Laser-Distance-Meter/dp/B001NGPBP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3JCNFXD98Z7LG&coliid=I3EJTBCJ5ZISRK

It's available for an attractive price, and I love my Fluke Multimeter to bits. Is it worth my getting it or should I save up for the Leica?

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I ended up going for the Leica in the end. I did look at the other, higher spec models that were mentioned but it didn't seem to me that you got a great deal of extra (useful to me) features for the extra cash. I'm sure if I get a few good years service out of this model and feel I need an upgrade then I will be able to stretch to a higher spec model knowing the feild a bit better.

Archived