Hi all Iam after a bit of advice iam a advanced scaffolder nvq, level 3 been doing scaffolding for 18 yearsand I have just started rigging on a new film in my area and I want to no what course would be the best to go on to get a riggers card Thanks paul

Hi all Iam after a bit of advice iam a advanced scaffolder nvq, level 3 been doing scaffolding for 18 yearsand I have just started rigging on a new film in my area and I want to no what course would be the best to go on to get a riggers card Thanks paul

Probably best to clear a few things up. This has been done a few times and it's still a source of confusion.

1- There is no such thing as a 'riggers card'. Unlike the construction industry with it's CSCS system etc, rigging in the UK does not require any formal qualification. Some companies optionally participate in PLASA's 'National Rigging Certificate' (NRC) scheme, but it is indeed optional and you will find that some companies require it and others don't.

2- Unlike many other tickets and licenses, you don't do a couple of days course and then a test at the end to gain the NRC. The NRC is a culmination of training and experience, to prove your competence as a rigger, and the route which you take to get it is open to the individual - although part of the assessment process is to review that route prior to awarding the certificate.

3- So basically - you are unlikely to obtain your NRC any time soon if you have just started rigging. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do a course anyway. It is in your own interests to ensure that you are properly trained to do any job that you are performing. Depending on where you are in the country there are numerous options available to you - Total in Birmingham is probably nearest, but there is also UK Rigging in Bolton, LS Live in Yorkshire, and Safe Working Ltd in... wherever (not Earls Court at the moment because there's some kind of sports day going on in London). These courses are generally geared, in content, towards the subjects covered in the NRC assessments.

Sorry if it's not the news that you wanted, but remember - not having the NRC does not have to be an obstruction to learning. Ask the people that you are working for if they need you to hold an NRC. If they don't, you needn't worry about it anyway!

Further confusion may arise because the OP seems to be talking about the film industry - quite a different beast to the live music/theatre/etc.. that is the main focus of the BR, and something that few posters here (me included) know a great deal about.

In film, 'rigging' still largely means scaff.

Kerry posted a link in another thread: rigger.

Chances are that if someone in the film industry mentions a 'rigging ticket' they'll be talking about some kind of scaffing qualification - good news for the OP as there's a fair chance he already has it.

Regarding what the BR would generally regard as 'rigging', there's no 'rigging ticket' as such available immediately after a short course, but there are several courses that give a good grounding in the basics (and an 'attendance' type certificate). There are several old threads discussing those, eg: clicky.

To see how organised film and other areas of the industry are about skills rather than qualification see Here.

They seek something like four or five years experience and training for riggers in film (which sounds like an apprenticeship?) yet theatre in particular seems totally unaware of the requirements, legal or practical. See the discussion Paul and I have been holding on scaffolding in theatre.

With 18 years and a scaff ticket, seems like the OP could be in the box seat with a bit more film/event specific experience. Particularly in light of another recent thread.

Note to entertainment professionals:

We are not special. The times when a small bunch of maverick chancers a bucketful of nous and no qualifications got to play at being engineers, sparkies and roped access whizzos are numbered. It's great that we have tons of entertainment industry experience but it's going to mean nothing if we can't get it together enough to get trained up to the standard of construction industry bod that fancies something a bit different.

Oh you say, but they will not want to work the 18 hour days and will expect things like breaks etc. Well, maybe but then who's the mug?

1342283922[/url]' post='446271']

With 18 years and a scaff ticket, seems like the OP could be in the box seat with a bit more film/event specific experience. Particularly in light of another recent thread.

Note to entertainment professionals:

We are not special. The times when a small bunch of maverick chancers a bucketful of nous and no qualifications got to play at being engineers, sparkies and roped access whizzos are numbered. It's great that we have tons of entertainment industry experience but it's going to mean nothing if we can't get it together enough to get trained up to the standard of construction industry bod that fancies something a bit different.

Oh you say, but they will not want to work the 18 hour days and will expect things like breaks etc. Well, maybe but then who's the mug?

Thanks guys for all your help and advise I was a bit worried about your answers to my question but there werent nothing to worrie about the hod on the job iam on is not that good if you ask me and he tells me he is a master rigger but he I a very nice guy and easy to get on with I think I will just get a bit of the experience off him

Archived