Rigging Courses

I'm looking to go on a rigging course and I've managed to find one in Yorkshire which is being held at LS Live Studios But I'm unable to attend. I was hoping to find out if there were any other places I should take a look at and also if any come with an industry recognised certificate.

Any help will will be much appreciate, cheers.

"Total Training" do an excellent 3-day course in Birmingham: clicky

The same course is also available at UK Rigging in Bolton: clicky

You'd get a certificate of attendance, and the course is well respected, so it's "industry recognised" in that sense.

What do you mean by better?

The one by Total Training is run by Total Fabs

The one by UK Rigging is well....run by UK Rigging

The one in LSLive is run by AC Rigging

All of them are pretty respected in the industry, as long as you get some proof that you attended you'll be fine with any of those.

Obviously I should point out, as many others do, having the piece of paper doesn't make you a rigger, it's a combination of theory and practical, that is worked on over time.

All of those will give you a 'certificate' saying you have attended the course but it's the experience you gain doing it out in the real world that will make you a more competent rigger. Those courses are designed to give you a starting point with skills however, the National Rigging Certificate from PLASA is the only course where you become a 'qualified rigger' if you like..

So this course is going to be better for me in the long run?

Better than the LS-Live one you already looked at? Haven't the foggiest, I'm afraid.

The Total Fabs/UK Rigging course is 3 days rather than 2, its also a tad more expensive. Its a very good course, but there's no way I can say whether that's better for you obviously.

The LS-Live course you mentioned is relatively new and I don't know much about it. I do know the tutor quite well though, and he's excellent, so I don't doubt that course will also be very good.

the National Rigging Certificate from PLASA is the only course where...

The NRC isn't a course - its assessment only.

At least for the time being - as I understand it the Level 1 NRC was designed as an 'introductory' type thingamabob, incorporating a short course and assessment, but the introduction of the Level 1 NRC has been postponed (indefinitely).

So in order to acquire an NRC from scratch you'd need spend some time gaining experience as a rigger first (possibly/probably after a short course like one of those mentioned so far) and then go through the 'direct assessment' route to Level 2.

The Ac Rigging/Prolyte course is written and run by Eric Porter who has spent a long time teaching the Total Fabs course (written by Chris Higgs). Having actually attended both myself, I'd say they were on a level par.

Mark Armstrong (Safe Working Ltd) also runs courses at Earls Court I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived