Degree results

Stackton Trestle!

I failed my degree in 75. I had a long chat with my tutor, and decided to resit the final two terms of the final year in 76, (which I funded by doing six months as a commercial diver). I really put he work in for the final two terms, and did the last ten years final exam papers as exam practise. I came out with a BSc (Ord) but I've traded on that for the last lots of years. After getting the ordinary pass (which was all that was allowed for a resitting candidate) my tutor said that the papers submitted would have got me a 2.1 or a first had that been allowed by the regulations.

Your tutor will know if there are sufficient mitigating circumstances in the run up to your exams, they haven't mentioned it so I suspect that you achieved a grade on their target for you judged by past work.

My Ordinary degree hasn't held me back, It's BSc Chemistry on the CV with no fraudulent upgrade but no mention of the grade.

My opinion NOW (years on!) is that the first year at uni brings you up to standard and up to speed, the second year is when you get your grade and the third year is when you focus on getting that elusive first job.

Sadly IMO the OP didn't put the work in in years 1 and 2 to get the grade or job.

im trying to have some work remark ... im trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel .. but even though I have now a 3rd degree with honers I feel like im going to be judge by this if I apply for any job... im so sad .. however still fighting to see if I can have my work remark... thank you for your comment ( pjb304 )

the sad thing is that ... a few of my teachers told me that they are never really challenge by the external examiner regarding the marks the teacher decides to give to the work ... I mean the teachers and the external examiners have known each other for years so ( the external examiner always agrees with them ad their making ) ... :(

I dont know really im trying all to research all the options I have n see what I can do really ....

I was not expecting any of them, I though I could get a 2:1 but I had some problems n then couldn't leave the course at all .. so then I could carry on the course later ...

n well now I found my self with a 3rd n I really don't know what to do really ... im ashamed of this result to be honest with you ... n yes I know that a 2.2 is not a great result but still I think that a 2.2 is better then a 3rd to be hones ...

in a perfect world I would have preferred a 2.1 but I was not able to get it ... so at least now I just want to see if I could appeal against my actual mark and get a 2.2 because I was only 1.5 points away from it .... im just really ashamed and sad and desperate to be hones with you .... :(

I don't want to appear too negative, but I get the feeling you expected a 2.2? So you knew it wasn't going to be a first or a 2.1. I'm unclear as to why you want to spend even more time on a MAsters that your results suggest may be, because of the content, to be even further out of your reach. Everyone has a limit. Maybe you just aren't ready for deep study yet. You could do the Masters later. Surely it's a bit like taking somebody with GCSE D's onto an A Level? Every time colleges do this - the D GCSE rarely gets better at the A Level?

The point is that grade boundaries have always existed - and if somebody got a first by 1.5 points, that is just as correct as your 3rd. Life's a bugger sometimes.

At the risk of being shot down, your sentence structure and a few of the SPAG errors in your post would lead me to worry that although your content may have been fine, your presentation and communication of your thoughts may have been an issue which may have lost you a couple of marks here and there which when totalled up become significant.

Archived