Static Vertical Platform and IPAF 3a/3b

frazer

Hi,

Am I permitted to operate a Static Vertical Platform like this on an IPAF 3a/3b ticket or is it necessary to go though specific training for category 1a machinery?

According to the IPAF website FAQ

Yes, you need training, and there is a half-day course for this. If you have an existing licence with Static Vertial (1a), Mobile Vertical (3a) or the old category Scissor Lift (SL), you will only require familiarisation on the machine, which should be recorded in your IPAF log book.
. I will be doing the 3a and 3b training next week but am not clear what is required when they say "familiarisation on the machine". Is there a formal familiarisation course?

Hi,

Am I permitted to operate a Static Vertical Platform like this on an IPAF 3a/3b ticket or is it necessary to go though specific training for category 1a machinery?

According to the IPAF website FAQ

Yes, you need training, and there is a half-day course for this. If you have an existing licence with Static Vertial (1a), Mobile Vertical (3a) or the old category Scissor Lift (SL), you will only require familiarisation on the machine, which should be recorded in your IPAF log book.
. I will be doing the 3a and 3b training next week but am not clear what is required when they say "familiarisation on the machine". Is there a formal familiarisation course?

Permitted? By law, yes. Even without the 3A/3B.

Permitted? By employers - ask them.

IPAF has no legal standing it is entirely up to employers / insurers etc what kind of license you have. They just need you to be trained and competent on the machine as far as HASAWA is concerned, that doesn't need to have been performed by IPAF. They could do it in-house if they wished.

The HSE point out the legal requirement for "suitable training". They also say, "HSE regards training and accreditation schemes drawn up by trade bodies and training bodies as sufficient proof of competence for a given piece of work equipment". Furthermore, the HSE describe IPAF as "their partner".

Whilst there have been many comments made on Blue Room querying the quality, necessity and status of the "powered access licence", as a scheme it's quite nicely sewn up now, and few are going to go against its rules.

If your employer considers you have had suitable training and familiarisation on the SVP, then fine. If not, it looks like they'll be paying out for another course for you.

Like many companies producing safety sensitive machinery Genie US has a get-out clause in the Operators Manual saying that you must be trained in the operation of the machine. Here!

Under training on their home website it says that their dealerships will provide this and AFIK the only UK dealers for Genie are in Grantham.

Now whether your employer believes 3A/3B is enough (I do) or you need to get further training is their affair, however I would suggest a call to 01476584333 just to confirm your status if you are concerned.

Familiarisation by a friend who is an IPAF trainer is described as being shown by someone who has a demonstraitor IPAF the relevant features/safety aspects of the machine you have with a category you have. You'll notice this on the course that you (should) first have to walk around the machine and identify a few things. They do differ alot by machine alot so it kind of makes sense that your not going to hit a button and go flying in the air.

That machine you have shown looks (to me) clearly like a 1a platform so I would say if your doing it by the book. Best get another category. There are some that look similar but you can drive whilst at height so are a 3a.

With a static vertical you have to know how to deploy the outriggers/stabilisers and make sure the thing is level. This is the bit of training you don't get with 3a/3b. Gordontechs description of familiarisation is pretty much verbatim what is stated in the IPAF Operators Safety Guide.

When I re-newed my IPAF Liscence, I added categories 1a and 1b as well as 3a and 3b, I was charged £5 each for the additional categories on top of £190 for the 2 units. It must be noted that adding additional categories later than 2 weeks after your innitial training requires the entire training day to be repeated as opposed to practical only.

With a static vertical you have to know how to deploy the outriggers/stabilisers and make sure the thing is level. This is the bit of training you don't get with 3a/3b.

Kit makes a good point. When I last renewed my (now expired) PAL, it definitely included 1b designs and we encountered trailer based mobile units (or van mount) on a regular basis. Now everyone seems to be trained in 3a, 3b machines but perhaps don't get training on the setting of stabilisers etc. (of course, it could be argued that this isn't rocket science, but that's not the point). Does this mean that courses now don't always include 1b?

I think there is enough of a distinction between a category 3 unit and the use of category 1 unit to argue against a 3a/3b ticket making everything ok by default. However, with a 1b I would suggest that (with Kerry's Genie caveat in mind) an operator could competently use a 1a machine.

Although as alluded to above, the individual nature of different designs should always make us pause for a moment before blundering straight into next MEWP assuming that we "probably know how it all works." A few moments comtemplation of the features and controls, along with the condition check, and we are all good and it doesn't make one a wuss.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer the original question, the current IPAF Catagories are:

Static Vertical (1a): Vertical personnel platforms (static)

Static Boom (1b): Self-propelled booms (outriggers), trailers/push-arounds, vehicle-mounted platforms

Mobile Vertical (3a): Scissor lifts, vertical personnel platforms (mobile)

Mobile Boom (3b): Self-propelled booms

See IPAF Catagory Visuals showing images of above.

To explain the catagories a little further:

1 = Static (i.e. once it has been set up and platform raised, the base cannot be driven/moved)

3 = Mobile (i.e. with the platform raised, the base can be driven/moved)

a = Vertical (i.e. will only operate up or down from the base)

b = Slew (i.e. will operate up or down and also slew left or right of the base)

Looking at the picture you have provided you will notice that it has folded 'outriggers' just visible stowed away behind and above the safety platform. I would say this was a 1a Static Vertical as opposed to yet another confusing catagory PAV (Push Around Vertical).

Training:

The IPAF Powered Access Licence (PAL Card) is internationally recognised. If you were offered work in Europe, Australia or USA etc it would be recognised and accepted.

The CPCS Card is normally associated with the construction industry and is only currently recognised in the UK.

In-house training and certification will only normally be recognised by the specific company or employer providing it. This does not mean it is any less significant or inferior, most IPAF approved trainers will offer in-house training, it can often be the same training but without the IPAF registration fees or issue of the PAL Card.

Familiarisation:

See IPAF's official defenition: TGN F1/08/07 Familiarisation and also Additional Info

Archived